cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarreguin
Surveyor II

Rubric for External Tool Submission Types

Jump to solution

I am adding Flipgrid into my Canvas course for integration. I love that we can have students make a Flipgrid video within Canvas! Currently there is not an option to create a Rubric for the External Tool Submission Types that I am aware of.  I would like to be able to have the ability to create a Rubric so when going to Speedgrader, I can have criteria students could view to see how they are graded for their Flipgrid video.

Is there another way that I am missing to add a Rubric when this is integrated? If not, will this be something that Canvas can offer, just as having Rubrics is an option for other Submission Types?

Thanks,

Sarah Arreguin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Yes,  @sarreguin ‌, the workflow for adding a rubric to an External Tool assignment is to create the assignment as a regular online submission type, save it, add the rubric, and then change the submission type to External Tool.

A feature idea asking for a different workflow is currently open for voting at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4160-lti-external-tools-ability-to-add-rubric 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Yes,  @sarreguin ‌, the workflow for adding a rubric to an External Tool assignment is to create the assignment as a regular online submission type, save it, add the rubric, and then change the submission type to External Tool.

A feature idea asking for a different workflow is currently open for voting at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4160-lti-external-tools-ability-to-add-rubric 

View solution in original post

For Flipgrid assignments created within Canvas Assignments (external tool), if we have already deployed a rubric from within Flipgrid, how do we get that rubric to appear in Canvas Speedgrader?

carmin_bermudez
Surveyor

when attempting this workaround I am then able to view and use the rubric for grading in speed grader, but students are unable to see the rubric tied to the assignment, nor can I view or edit it on the assignment page. Correct? Or am I missing something here? Thanks for the link to up vote, I have added my vote to the count.

I was going to say the same thing.  I have an ongoing assignment that students check their grades and goals on a weekly basis.  Due to the school shutdown, I need to modify the rubric to show just the weeks we were in school and delete the last 3 weeks from the rubric.  I can't do that though, so I'm left wondering what to do.  If I grade just the weeks we were there, then it will think they got 25 out of 40 points.  There really needs to be a way to change the rubric with the external tool.  

I used the external tool for this assignment because the kids can quickly type right on the Canvas assignment page.  I've done it the other way, online submission, and there are those kids that make 15 copies and tell me all their work has been deleted.  The external tool prevents kids from having to make a copy of the Google Doc and then submitting.