Rubric to a preexisting assignment using an external tool

Jump to solution
tboston1
Community Member

Can you add a rubric to an assignment if students have already submitted the assignment. The assignment is an external tool (Google Slides). I would have to remove the assignment/external tool, add the rubric, and once again add the external tool. 

Specifically, my concern is whether or not the student submissions for the assignment will remain submitted/not lost during this addition of the rubric process.  

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @tboston1 ...

That's a really good question, and to be honest, I've not tested this myself.  But, here's something you might want to try on your own...  Have you ever used your school's "test" environment?  This is a separate Canvas environment compared to your school's "production" environment ... which is where you typically log into on a daily basis.  Anything you do in "test" will not affect things in "production"...so you don't have to worry about screwing anything up.  It's literally an environment where you can "test" things out to see if they work for you before doing them in "production".  Here is a Guide for you on how to access the "test" environment at your school:

Just be sure that you log out of the "test" environment before you return to your normal "production" environment.  How do I log out of Canvas as an instructor? - Canvas Community

I hope this will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, @tboston1 ...

@tboston1 wrote:

Can you add a rubric to an assignment if students have already submitted the assignment. The assignment is an external tool (Google Slides). I would have to remove the assignment/external tool, add the rubric, and once again add the external tool.  

I think I have some good news for you on this part of your question.  I just happened to be looking at Instructure's Deploy Notes, and I saw a section in the June 21, 2023 Deploy Notes called Assignments: External Tools Add Rubric Button.  You might want to review this and see if it would work for your needs.

Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-06-21) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

View solution in original post

0 Likes