cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiffanyheggeman
Community Member

How do I add a rubric to an assignment?  The assignment I am working with does not have the rubric button shown in the tutorial video.  As you can see by my screenshots, the rubric option is not available.347045_rubric question1.jpg347046_rubric question2.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Tiffany,

Adding a rubric is done on the previous page from where you're at! So save your assignment and you'll find it. Here's a walkthrough with specifics: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26472-how-do-i-add-a-rubric-to-an-assignment 

Thanks!

Erin

View solution in original post

6 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Tiffany,

Adding a rubric is done on the previous page from where you're at! So save your assignment and you'll find it. Here's a walkthrough with specifics: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26472-how-do-i-add-a-rubric-to-an-assignment 

Thanks!

Erin

View solution in original post

Which page and where?  I can't find a rubric option on either.  Clicking on "Edit Assignment Settings" takes me to the page I posted above and the bottom page does not seem to have an option for rubrics either.347052_rubric question3.jpg347053_rubric question4.jpg

@tiffanyheggeman ...

The information that erinhallmark gave you with the link to the "how to" Guide is what you'll want to look at.  As the illustrations show in the linked Guide, once you are on the "Assignments" page, you click on the name of your assignment...not on the three-dot kebab icon as you're showing in your screen shot.  Once you click on the name of the assignment, the "+ Rubric" button will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.  Again, refer to the screen shots within the Guide that Erin linked to.  This is also described in this short tutorial video:  ... start at the 1 minute 30 second mark.

I hope this will help, Tiffany.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this.  Stay safe, and be well.

@tiffanyheggeman ‌, both Erin and Chris have given you helpful guidance. One question: It appears that the assignment submission type is External Tool. When that's the case, the +Rubric will not display. The remedy is to switch the assignment type from External Tool to Online, save, add the rubric, then switch the type back to the external tool.

Thank you Stephanie!  I ended up figuring it out by changing up my assignments.  How come the rubric is not available when on external tool like google docs is used?

Hi  @tiffanyheggeman ...

That is just how it works with LTI external tools and assignments.  Like stefaniesanders suggested, add your rubric to the assignment first, and then you can switch it to an external tool.  The rubric will still be linked to the assignment (even though you can't see it), and students can access the rubric via the Grades page in the course.  How do I view the rubric for my external tool assignment?

I hope that this will help a bit, Tiffany.  Take care...