Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Rubrics with knock-out criteria

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I was wondering if it is possible to include, so-called, knock-out criteria in the Canvas Rubrics? That means can I overrule the outcome of the Rubric if students for example receive a "poor" on a specific criteria of the Rubric. 

Kind regards, 

Aniek 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @a_a_m_tuerlings 

This can be done, and I just tested it to make sure nothing has changed.

1. Create  your rubric, or edit your existing one,
  2. Add your knock-out criteria and make its value a negative whatever the possible score is. Canvas rubrics will accept negative numbers!

In my example, I created a 100 pt assignment, then created a rubric with five criteria worth 20 points each, then added a 6th criteria worth -100 points. Ran a test student through the assignment, graded the assignment using the rubric, and gave my student full points for the first five criteria, but scored them with -100 on #6, and the rubric posted a score of zero.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer III

I'm not sure I follow...do you mean reassess a rubric without changing the original assessment? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Dear Bennet, 

Let me provide an example. Assume that I have an assignment that is grade on four different criteria. One of these criteria, for example is whether students included references. For me this is a basic requirement. Even if students write a great report, when they do not include references, they cannot pass the assignment. They should in that case receive a fail.  Is there a way to include this in the Rubrics? I am pretty sure that this is called a knock-out criteria in rubric literature.

What I do not intend to do is to change the weight of the criteria as a whole, because that does not make sense for students who did fulfill this basic criteria. 

Hope you can help me out. 

Aniek

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @a_a_m_tuerlings ...

To follow up on @bbennett2's question, could you give some more detail on what your rubric would look like?  Continuing on with your example of four criteria, is the criterion that asks students to include references simply Pass/Fail...meaning there are no point associate with either the Pass or the Fail rating?  Or, for example, would you have Pass = 5 points, Fail = 0 points (or whatever values you wanted)?  What about the other three criteria in your rubric?  Do they also share the same Pass/Fail ratings?  Or, do those have a different method of possible scores...such as this scale I just made up:

5 = Super
4 = Good
2 = Poor, Redo Required
0 = Missing, Redo Required

Looking forward to hearing back from you on this...thanks!  Take care, and be well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dear Chofer,

All four criteria are graded on the scale below:

4 Excellent

3 Adequate

2 Insufficient

1 Poor.

In principle students receive a grade for each of the four criteria. This grade will be calculated pretty simple (max. point for the criterion * the score (2.5 pt max * 0.5 (insufficient)= 1.25 pt. total)). If they score a poor for not including the references the maximum grade that they receive should be a 5.0 (given that < 5.0 means failing the assignment), even if the calculation demonstrated above leads to a higher grade.

To illustrate with two examples

Score students A              

Score student B

Criterion 1: Introduction (2.5pt)

Adequate (2.5*0.75=1.875)

Criterion 2 Main research question (2.5pt)

Criterion 3 hypotheses (2.5pt)

Criterion 4: References (2.5pt)

Poor (2.5*0.25=0.625)

Final score: 7.5

Final score 5.0

In this example student B received a poor on the reference criterion, so instead of a 6.25 (if we would follow the calculations and means pass), the student should receive a final score of 5.0. At this moment, the only way of doing this seems to be by manually adjusting the grade in the Speed grader. But I was wondering if there were other options of doing this in Canvas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @a_a_m_tuerlings 

This can be done, and I just tested it to make sure nothing has changed.

1. Create  your rubric, or edit your existing one,
  2. Add your knock-out criteria and make its value a negative whatever the possible score is. Canvas rubrics will accept negative numbers!

In my example, I created a 100 pt assignment, then created a rubric with five criteria worth 20 points each, then added a 6th criteria worth -100 points. Ran a test student through the assignment, graded the assignment using the rubric, and gave my student full points for the first five criteria, but scored them with -100 on #6, and the rubric posted a score of zero.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Labels