cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

SCHEDULER

I'm using (for the first time) the Scheduler to allow students to sign up for conferences.  Unfortunately, Scheduler has decided to open EVERY event on my syllabus for sign-up (class times, theater visits....), even though I defined only my office hours as schedulable times.  How do I stop it from doing that?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi monika.c.otter@dartmouth.edu Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, where Canvas users can exchange ideas and ask questions....such as the rather perplexing one that you are!  That is very odd behavior, and should not be happening at all.  Have you verified that students are seeing this, as well?  Can they actually "sign up" for an "appointment" that would otherwise be in the calendar as a class time??  While it is NOT unusual for all other calendar events for your class(es) to be showing on both your and your student's Calendars, they should NOT be able to sign up for them as though they were office hours.

Based on my own experience with Scheduler, you want to make absolutely certain that you properly filled in the span of times AND (most importantly) clicked that Go button to divide your time frames into the xx-minute time slots that you specified on the screen, as shown under the Set Appointment Time Range heading on this page:  How do I add a Scheduler appointment group in the Scheduler page? 

But this is really hard to trouble-shoot since the members of the Community obviously do not have access to your Canvas installation.  You may be best off filing a case directly with Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem from within Canvas).

Highlighted

I did that, thank you, and the times that are supposed to be available for sign-up work properly. And yes, the events not meant to be for sign-up do not allow sign-ups. But they all display as "available," which at a minimum is visually confusing, even for people who have grasped that this is only a bug in the system. I do hope you address this bug, for that is evidently what it is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Monika - To be clear, I am merely a fellow Canvas user like yourself, as are the majority of us in the Community. That's why it would be best to file the case with Canvas Support via the Help>>Report a Problem link in your Canvas site.  That definitely sounds like strange behavior, to be sure!

Highlighted

oh, ok-- sorry, I had also written to their support, and I thought this was the reply! Thanks. Glad to hear it happens to others also. Our IT guy has looked into it, has found that there is something wrong, and is working with Canvas. I don't know about yours, but my Scheduler is really quite cluttered, listing every class and every extra event of the term-- and even though one cannot sign up for those after all, it means students have to sift through all the irrelevant listings to find the ones they need!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, monika.c.otter@dartmouth.edu...

As I was reviewing older discussion topics here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question.  I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for four months, but it looks like you and kblack@dom.edu have been working through this issue.  You had indicated that one of your IT guys was going to work with Canvas tech support to see if they could help in some way.  Do you know if this was resolved with tech support's help?  If so, would you be willing to share the outcome of that conversation?  Also, if you feel that any of the above replies from Ken can be marked "Correct", please go ahead and do that.  But, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know by posting a message below so that we might be able to assist you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not had any new activity in this topic for four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Monika.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Highlighted

Hi Chris, it didn’t actually get resolved but I gave up on it because the scheduler sort of worked, if imperfectly. If I remember correctly, I was simply informed that my issue is a known glitch, sorry. What happens is that when you set a block of times for appointments (say, students can sign up for half-hour consultations between 2-5 next Monday), it does that, but it also lists every other thing on your calendar as an “available” time. Though it won’t actually let anyone sign up for those phantom time slots. So it’s just very confusing to the students, but I and my class got used to it.

The other truly infuriating thing is that you can’t edit the times after the fact. So say I’ve set aside Monday afternoon for student conferences, and students have begun to sign up; and it then turns out that I can’t be there as early 2 but will add another hour after 5– nope, can’t be done. You have to cancel the whole thing and start over again.

In other words, the scheduler is, shall we say, very imperfect. (I can think of a few other adjectives to use but will restrain myself.) But it’s not a great priority in my life and I do not wish to spend more time on it.

Thanks for checking in!

Monika

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels