Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

SCORM package as ungraded assignment still shows 0 pts

Jump to solution

Hi All! 

I'm uploading a SCORM package as assignment, and marking it as an ungraded assignment. But when I add it to the module, it automatically comes up as a graded assignment with 0 pts. I' afraid the "0 pts" will confuse students. Is there a way to remove it?

Earlier, my other SCORM packages imported as ungraded assignments worked great and had no such issues. But today, I had to upload a new version of a module, and I can't seem to get rid of the "0 pts". PLease see attached screenshot. 

Thank you so much for the help! 

Garima.

334143_zero pts.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Here is the final message in my chain with Canvas. It looks like this issue cannot be fixed:

Hello Kevin, 

My apologies, as I believe there is a misunderstanding between the functionality of the SCORM in Canvas and your goals for how you would like it to work in the gradebook. 

If I am understanding your goal for a solution, it is that all the SCORM assignments imported as "ungraded" should NOT appear in the gradebook at all. Is that correct?

If so, I'm afraid there is a conflict between that goal, and the functionality of the SCORM assignment imports.

The following explanation is in reference to our corporate SCORM guide found here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10312-4152340211

All SCORM assignments are imported as External Tool Assignment Submissions-- (even when imported as ungraded)  https://share.getcloudapp.com/JruWNZ5w which means that they will by their nature be assigned a point value, and are housed in the external tool submission type.

This also means that if you remove the "submission type" or make it "not graded" (not graded also removes submission type, or any submission) then the SCORM  LTI is no longer valid, and as you indicated, the content is removed.  This is because the SCORM *is* the LTI submission/external tool configuration. 

This is part of the proper functionality, not a bug or misbehavior, or issue related to Canvas that needs to be fixed. 

That said, there is a feature request in progress that is directly related: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14975-non-graded-scorm-assignment I have also attached this case to this feature request. 

Please go vote on this feature request, and encourage other instructors/administrators to jump in and vote for this as well. If enough people vote, this will be considered for implementation and development, and that would be the way to achieve your goal as outlined in the beginning.   

I hope this has provided some clarification and information that is useful to you. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

We are experiencing the same problem and also worry about confusion... Hopefully this will get sorted out soon and there won't be any points displayed anymore.

Support is looking into it:

"Hello Kerstin,

Thank you for the packages provided. I have checked this further with our next level of support engineers. We are aware of the issue and currently the work is in progress. I have forwarded your case to the next level and we will get back to you as soon as we have update on it."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Kerstin, Please do update here when you have a response from the support. That’d be so helpful.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello Garima, here is the feedback from the L2 Support Technician:

"Thank you for contacting Canvas Support. I understand that Scorm packages are showing in the Gradebook for THIS course and you wanted us to look into this. I can see that the Assignments that you have added to the course are showing to grade with a percentage instead of 'No submission'. I tested once this setting is changed in the edit options of the Assignment to 'No Submission' instead of 'percentage' and can see that it no longer shows in the Gradebook. Can you please give this a try and let us know if there are any further questions or concerns."

It worked for us but I am not willing to do these extra steps in the future as the way it was before was just simple and we never had to go into the assignment and change anything. I urged the support to change that back but the answer isn't really making me hopeful:

"I have been looking into this and can see that there is a feature request that has been sent up to our engineers for this same behavior, but after talking with our Scorm experts they have let me know that Scorm imports have always imported this way. I can attach this case to the feature request sent to our engineers so that you can be notified as any updates become available in regards to any development for a change in behavior. If we can help with any further questions or concerns, please let us know."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

In the assignment settings for my SCORM package, if I select either "No Submission" or "Not Graded," my content disappears. Did this happen to you? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Yes! It only works if you mark it as ungraded WHILE uploading the file. If you try and change it afterwards, the content disappears, 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I'm still having the original problem. I imported my SCORM file as an ungraded assignment, but it still shows up as scored "out of 0" in the gradebook. In the assignment settings, if I change it to "not graded" the content disappears. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I did not experience the problem where the content disappears. I can change the assignment setting afterwards and the package is still there without the 0 pts. But I really don’t want to do these extra steps when I never had to do them before. It’s pretty inconvenient.

In your case I would continue to urge the support to look into the package’s behaviour of disappearing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Okay, so, we experience the same problem now with the disappearing content.. Has anyone opened a ticket or continued to talk to support about this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have an open ticket about this. It has not been resolved yet. I screen recorded what happens when I turn my assignment to "ungraded. Is this what happens to you? 

Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software