cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aidan_garbutt
Community Member

SCORM package (via Camtasia) resets as incomplete

SCORM package (via Camtasia) resets as incomplete

I have used a workaround Javascript edit (as suggested in https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/15684-scorm-package-via-camtasia-9-not-converting-to-complete... ) and it all works swimmingly.

I am then using the score of 1 as a prerequisite to open subsequent SCORM video/quiz activities sequentially and that seems to work as expected.
However, if a student returns to view a part of an earlier video the score for that earlier video/quiz reverts to zero and all subsequent activities are locked down again.
My question is therefore: is there a part of the Javascript that can look at the score previously achieved and retain the completed status so that once content is unlocked it remains unlocked?

Thank you for any help you are able to give,

regards Aidan

Tags (2)
9 Replies
kenneth_rogers
Instructure
Instructure

Hello,  @aidan_garbutt ! Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for your question. So, what I'm going to do is share this with two groups - the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=16b98a3a-c06d-4d6e-8463-be6403119be... group to see if they know of a workaround and the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=3c228308-59f0-4fc6-a8ae-... group to see if they can help out with the code! Hope this helps! 

Has there been any resolution to this from either of these groups? Thank you very much!

there has been no resolution of this problem as far as I know

regards Aidan.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @aidan_garbutt ...

While I don't really have an answer for you myself, I wanted to check in with you.  It seems as though you may have stumped the Canvas Community with your question.  Have you been able to come up with any solutions or resolutions on your own since you first posted this question on October 19, 2017?  If so, would you be willing to share with us back here in this topic?  Or, if you are still looking for some assistance with this question, please let us know that as well.  Hopefully by checking in with you, this question will move up a bit so that someone might see it again.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because we've necessarily found an answer for you...but more because I'm hopeful that you've been able to find a solution on your own and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for about four months.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Aidan.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hi  @chofer ,

No, unfortunately I haven't got a solution for this, simply a somewhat cumbersome workaround.  I have ended up adding a second version of the package for review purposes (alongside a .pdf version).  Once they have completed the quiz it opens the additional content within which the second review version lies; the second version does not unlock any further material and the score therefore is immaterial.  Yes, some students do still re-lock the material but those numbers soon reduce as they get the numerous hints in a somewhat Pavolian manner.

Kind regards, Aidan.

We run into this problem all too frequently with SCORM packages. If the user returns to the content to review (or even by inadvertent clicking) the completion score resets to 0%.  This is a significant problem when using prerequisites/conditional release because the user is then forced to re-complete the content (or contact the Help Desk to request manual gradebook changes).

We'd like to see a feature to prevent this kind of score resetting (i.e. a rule to to keep the highest score).

I like your idea of adding a second version of the package for review (but also wish it wasn't necessary!).  

rdiana
Surveyor

Can this question be changed back to unanswered? As the original poster indicated, there is no solution to this problem. I have the same problem and it is a real issue for an online course. My students view videos and get grades for completing. If they later rewatch a portion of the video the grade changes back to incomplete. This requires me to constantly update the gradebook and for the students to stay alert to their grades changing. This functionality definitely does NOT encourage learning but rather discourages students from reviewing the material.

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Everyone ~ I wanted to take an opportunity to check-in and see how everything is going. The original question was posted in October 2017, and there hasn't been activity for six months. If it's still relevant, we can leave it open. If there's not a workable solution, we can mark it as "Assumed Answered". (How we keep your questions flowing!‌)

Still no solution, there are also other threads about this. It is a years-old problem with no help or response from Canvas.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/SCORM-assessments-and-highest-mark/m-p/159080