cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

SHARING COURSE MATERIAL

Jump to solution

Is this correct? Teacher creates a course in their workroom (already created). Next step- do they turn it into a blueprint course or a master course? Difference, if any? They want multiple teachers to be able to import from this master or blueprint course.  Possible yes, if they know the name of the course, correct?  One teacher cross-listed his classes and it ended up deleting an entire class and added it to another period.  Fixes?  Thank you for your help in advance. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi vansclm@nv.ccsd.net Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.

For us at our Technical College, we created a term called "Master Term", and we house a "master" copy of any course that we offer inside of Canvas.  We have also created a custom role called "Viewer" which is actually based on the "Teacher" role...but with a few additional restrictions...mainly that the "Viewer" role is unable to edit content in a "master" course.  Once we have built a course, we will enroll instructors in a "master" course who are:

1. The person (people) that wrote the curriculum and responsible for keeping the course up-to-date in the "Master Term" (these people get "Teacher" rights)
  2. Others that will be teaching the course (these people get "Viewer" rights)

Both the "Teacher" and the "Viewer" roles allow our faculty and adjuncts to import content from these "master" courses into their own courses.  Anyone with the "Viewer" role is able to communicate with the "Teacher" for any possible changes that need to be made.  (For example, maybe a certain Learning Activity just didn't work well during the semester, and it needs to be edited by the "Teacher" to make it more clear.)

Blueprint courses are a bit like "master" courses, yes.  I'm not sure if you've seen these blog posts, but I'll provide links to them that I would encourage you to review...as it may help in deciding if you want to move forward with Blueprint courses:

Tips for Designing and Maintaining Blueprint Courses by kblack@dom.edu

https://community.canvaslms.com/community/instcon/instructurecon-2018/blog/2018/07/31/lessons-learne... by lindalee@wharton.upenn.edu‌ (she has several links to additional blogs she wrote on the topic, so you will want to check those out as well)

I hope this information is helpful to you, Leslie!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi vansclm@nv.ccsd.net Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.

For us at our Technical College, we created a term called "Master Term", and we house a "master" copy of any course that we offer inside of Canvas.  We have also created a custom role called "Viewer" which is actually based on the "Teacher" role...but with a few additional restrictions...mainly that the "Viewer" role is unable to edit content in a "master" course.  Once we have built a course, we will enroll instructors in a "master" course who are:

1. The person (people) that wrote the curriculum and responsible for keeping the course up-to-date in the "Master Term" (these people get "Teacher" rights)
  2. Others that will be teaching the course (these people get "Viewer" rights)

Both the "Teacher" and the "Viewer" roles allow our faculty and adjuncts to import content from these "master" courses into their own courses.  Anyone with the "Viewer" role is able to communicate with the "Teacher" for any possible changes that need to be made.  (For example, maybe a certain Learning Activity just didn't work well during the semester, and it needs to be edited by the "Teacher" to make it more clear.)

Blueprint courses are a bit like "master" courses, yes.  I'm not sure if you've seen these blog posts, but I'll provide links to them that I would encourage you to review...as it may help in deciding if you want to move forward with Blueprint courses:

Tips for Designing and Maintaining Blueprint Courses by kblack@dom.edu

https://community.canvaslms.com/community/instcon/instructurecon-2018/blog/2018/07/31/lessons-learne... by lindalee@wharton.upenn.edu‌ (she has several links to additional blogs she wrote on the topic, so you will want to check those out as well)

I hope this information is helpful to you, Leslie!

View solution in original post