cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nancy_lachance
Community Member

SHOW MORE in Discussion Thread?

I have tried researching this in the community and in google, but I do not see this question anywhere. In threaded discussions, Canvas automatically truncates a thread within a discussion at a certain point.  You see the thread and then a SHOW MORE button to expand that thread. I see no way to adjust the truncation setting so that I can get a high-level view of all posts.  Is there any way this can be done? Is it a setting anywhere?  

252629_Community.jpg

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @nancy_lachance ...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting out here in the Canvas Community website for well over two months without a response. I wanted to check in with you to see if you've been able to find any answers on your own since you first posted this question.  If so, would you be willing to share what you've learned back here?  Or, if you are still looking for some help with this, please let us know by posting a message below.  I am going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=b49cdb76-1734-4ea6-86c9-...‌ group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure...as there's nothing on the front-end of Canvas I'm aware of that would let you see an entire discussion response.  Also, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because we've found an answer to your question at the moment, but rather because we've not seen any new activity in this topic for a couple months.  That won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments below, however.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Nancy!

We have not found a solution to this yet.  As people are learning the platform more fully, they are working with it, but there are many areas of the discussions that we find difficult to manage.  I suspect there may be other places people are discussing issues with discussions, so I will try to locate that and start getting involved there. 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @nancy_lachance ‌

I am not seeing this behavior.

I just opened on of my discussion postings and it is 54 lines long and includes 4 images. The entire post displays with out any truncation.

Are you self hosted, and perhaps your Canvas admins set this restriction?

Kelley

It is not individual threads that are truncated but sections of the discussion. It appears to be that truncation occurs at some point when a single thread becomes too long. Here is a screen capture: Show More in Discussion

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @nancy_lachance ,

I thought I would check in and see how you are doing with this? Have you managed to resolve the issue? If so we would love to know what it was, as it is great in case anyone faces this in the future.

Alternatively, if you are still facing troubles, what are your thoughts on Kelley's questions?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Stuart

We are working on a completely new discussion interface. It is not yet ready for prime time, but we have had some positive feedback about the very early working version.