Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgibson1
Explorer III

SIS ID - Faculty

Jump to solution

Hello Canvas Community.

Is there a setting that allows faculty to see the student's SIS ID? If so, I'm not finding it.

Rob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

After I did some investigation if a User is only set-up as a Teacher they don't see any information below You Know This Student As... even though the teacher role has the Read SIS Data checked to yes. But when this Teacher (with no Account Role) exports the grades to excel the SIS information can be seen. Rob Gibson

So try having the teacher export the Grades and see if the SIS Data follows.

All of our teachers are also assigned an Account Role. It looks like the Account Role needs to grant the Read SIS Data for the teachers to be able to view the SIS information on the User Bio page.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
emily_beckman
Surveyor

@rgibson1

I believe the permission is on the Admin > Permission > Course Roles > Account Permissions > Read SIS Data

There is also a permission in the Admin > Permission > Account Roles > Account Permissions > Read SIS Data (it's further down than on the Course Roles Page)

permission.jpg

If you are looking to see how and where staff can get this information please look at the following

1) Currently our staff can find this information when you open their Course > People > Click on the student they want information on and this will bring you to their Bio page. Towards the bottom of the page you would see their Login Information.

people.jpg

2) Depending on the permissions your institution has set-up, if you have some type of Admin rights they can click Admin (in the new UI) or Click on Courses and select your institution and then search for a user. Once the user is selected you can see their SIS ID and Login ID.

User Lookup.jpg

3) If you go Course > Grades > Export to excel the file will give you the below information

StudentIDSIS User IDSIS Login IDSection

Interestingly, we have both those options enabled in the Permission block, but faculty still don't see anything below "You Know this Student As..."

I wonder if there's something else we're missing...

Rob

After I did some investigation if a User is only set-up as a Teacher they don't see any information below You Know This Student As... even though the teacher role has the Read SIS Data checked to yes. But when this Teacher (with no Account Role) exports the grades to excel the SIS information can be seen. Rob Gibson

So try having the teacher export the Grades and see if the SIS Data follows.

All of our teachers are also assigned an Account Role. It looks like the Account Role needs to grant the Read SIS Data for the teachers to be able to view the SIS information on the User Bio page.

View solution in original post

Thanks Emily. The Gradebook option appears to work.

Perfect, glad I could help. Now we all have the answer!