cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner

SIS ID Problem with upload

This is the second year we are using Canvas. The SIS ID we are using this year are the same as last year.  This has created some problems!  Old content is interfering with new students.  Past course content can't be found.  If anyone could give suggestions, that would be appreciated. garth@academicplatforms.comlukel2004@gmail.com‌  Thanks in advance!

3 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor II

jeneen_hill@natronaschools.org‌ the SIS ID should always be unique.  No two courses should ever share the same SIS ID.  Likewise no two students should ever share the same SIS ID.  If they did, you would have issues in your SIS sytsem as well.

Can you give more detail to clarify what you mean by "The SIS ID we are using this year are the same as last year"?

At face value this statement means you will have problems, I would expect import warnings/errors as well.

Any additional details you can provide will help better understand what you are trying to do.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Our SIS IDs are sent over from our SIS but we our naming conventions have the CRNs, term, and course names.  We reuse the CRNs but on a fall to fall and spring to spring cycle so the term helps keep them unique (like garth@academicplatforms.com mentioned). 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello jeneen_hill@natronaschools.org...

I noticed that it has been two months since we first heard from you here in the Canvas Community, so I wanted to check in with you.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you'v received from garth@academicplatforms.com and kschneider25@alamo.edu?  If so, did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with your initial question?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with your question, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that members of the Community can continue to help you out.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since September 5th.  However, that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions/comments related to this topic below.  I hope that's alright with you, Jeneen.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!