cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kroeninm
Explorer

SVG image types

Jump to solution

Just to confirm, when I read through the file types supported by Canvas - I see here that .svg image file types are not listed.  

We are redesigning some icons and graphics for our courses and our graphics person suggest SVG is going to display with the highest quality but does not appear to be supported in Canvas.

What would happen if we used SVG images in our courses?  They appear to display fine except in the Canvas preview when selecting them.  Has anyone else opted for an SVG image type or is it best to steer clear of this file type?

Melanie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, SVGs can be uploaded and are viewable in browsers but are not officially supported according to the list of file types supported by Canvas.  So they are awkward to use when editing a course as they don't show in the various preview areas when we are choosing to select an image to insert.  So best avoided for now...

Thanks for checking back!

Melanie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Melanie:

I just tested this in my sandbox. I can display SVG images on a Canvas content page, and anyplace else with an RCE. However, when I try to embed the XML code for an image in the HTML Editor, it will not display. Likely it is because Canvas strips out executable code which XML is.

The best thing about SVG is that it was invented by W3C, and are fully scalable, meaning that they translate well to the smaller screens of mobile devices.

However, I do not consider myself any kind of an expert here, so I will share your question with our https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=180245d4-5b38-4149-9fa0-03bdd4f8...‌ Group, where there are people who actually know what they are talking about.

Kelley

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kroeninm ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Yes, SVGs can be uploaded and are viewable in browsers but are not officially supported according to the list of file types supported by Canvas.  So they are awkward to use when editing a course as they don't show in the various preview areas when we are choosing to select an image to insert.  So best avoided for now...

Thanks for checking back!

Melanie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
zriley
Surveyor

Fast forward a couple years, and now SVG support was requested and has been implemented!

If you found this page like I did, by searching for information about SVG support in Canvas, rejoice, it's been taken care of, now.