What is sandbox and how do I find it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello pklobas@peralta.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  A "sandbox" course is just an empty course shell that you can probably request from your school's local Canvas administrator so that you can use it for whatever you like...such as storing content for use in other courses...trying out things as you build your pages that you don't yet want your students to see...building out quizzes, etc.  For example, at our school, we give each of our instructors a "sandbox" course with their name in the course title, an then we enroll them as a "Teacher" in that course.  And, they can do whatever they want with that course shell.  We don't monitor those courses because it's their area to "play".  I found this page on your school's website which may help: Canvas - Distance Education Distance Education.  Please let me know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello pklobas@peralta.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  A "sandbox" course is just an empty course shell that you can probably request from your school's local Canvas administrator so that you can use it for whatever you like...such as storing content for use in other courses...trying out things as you build your pages that you don't yet want your students to see...building out quizzes, etc.  For example, at our school, we give each of our instructors a "sandbox" course with their name in the course title, an then we enroll them as a "Teacher" in that course.  And, they can do whatever they want with that course shell.  We don't monitor those courses because it's their area to "play".  I found this page on your school's website which may help: Canvas - Distance Education Distance Education.  Please let me know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Chris, I'm an Admin, how do you create the sandbox for all the teachers?

Highlighted

rlcarballo@bloomfield.edu.ph...

At our school, when we create a "sandbox" course for an instructor, we just manually create a course shell and then enroll the instructor in that course.  The instructor is then free to "play" in the course trying out anything he/she wants before adding it to his/her actual course.  Or, the instructor can build some content in the "sandbox" course and then import it into an actual course later on.  The possibilities are really endless.  Here's a Guide from an admin's perspective on how to create a new course shell: How do I add a course in an account as an admin?

I hope this helps a bit, Ruel.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

Highlighted

Hi rlcarballo@bloomfield.edu.ph‌ - you should be able to do this in bulk via the SIS import feature as an admin. That's my plan.

You can do it via SIS Import - https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/file.sis_csv - where courses.csv would be how you create the courses, and enrollments.csv would be how you enroll each of those teachers into their newly created sandbox courses.

You can use this guide for more details about the formatting of the CSV text files - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12585-4214164118

And this guide will explain how to upload them to Canvas - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10840-4214527607

Highlighted
Surveyor

As a Para Educator, how do I obtain a Sandbox, to get started. We're of the last group to get in on the Canvas course at our school and are totally lost. Thanks