cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smoeller
Surveyor II

Scheduling the creation of an Appointment Group

Jump to solution

Is there a way to schedule the creation of a Canvas Appointment Group? 

For an online course, we would like to use this tool as an assignment in a specific week (the week before the exam to schedule slots for taking the exam). The instructor would like to create theses appointment groups in advance. Any creative idea out there? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@smoeller ,  @kona  is correct. Sadly, the very useful ability to publish "draft state" appointment groups has been removed from Canvas. The "old" Scheduler was much harder to use; what we have now  (Appointment Signups with New Scheduler Workflow) is so much better overall, despite this pain point.

In my experience, the Canvas Product team only removes features when necessary to make Canvas simpler and more supportable. The removed feature existed only in the "old" Scheduler and went away in the @August 4, 2018 Canvas release. Before the launch of New Scheduler, a Product manager told me that community interest in an "unpublished" state for Calendar items generally would be needed for appointment group publishing to return. Today, I'm wondering whether a different approach, such as availability dates, would be better.

I'm bookmarking this Q&A and am thinking through what feature idea(s) to submit or re-submit soon. Watch this space! For now, here's a link to a recently suggested, somewhat related feature idea:

If you're intereted, please consider voting or commenting on that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@smoeller , greetings! Sorry your question has sat here for so long without a response! Technically you can set up the appointment group ahead of time - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12920-4152716604 Is the issue that the Instructor wants to set it up now, but doesn’t want the students to sign up for it yet? If so, then I’m not sure if a way to prevent them from signing up once you’ve created it. 

Kona

@smoeller ,  @kona  is correct. Sadly, the very useful ability to publish "draft state" appointment groups has been removed from Canvas. The "old" Scheduler was much harder to use; what we have now  (Appointment Signups with New Scheduler Workflow) is so much better overall, despite this pain point.

In my experience, the Canvas Product team only removes features when necessary to make Canvas simpler and more supportable. The removed feature existed only in the "old" Scheduler and went away in the @August 4, 2018 Canvas release. Before the launch of New Scheduler, a Product manager told me that community interest in an "unpublished" state for Calendar items generally would be needed for appointment group publishing to return. Today, I'm wondering whether a different approach, such as availability dates, would be better.

I'm bookmarking this Q&A and am thinking through what feature idea(s) to submit or re-submit soon. Watch this space! For now, here's a link to a recently suggested, somewhat related feature idea:

If you're intereted, please consider voting or commenting on that.

View solution in original post

@RobDitto ‌ and  @kona ‌, thank you for your responses.

TheAppointment Signups with New Scheduler Workflow  is very helpful for us and I strongly support adding availability dates to the feature (interesting, that something similar existed in the former tool). Let me know when you submit a feature idea! 

Thanks,