Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbedolla
Community Member

School is moving from iPads to Chromebooks

Jump to solution

Good evening everyone,

Since my school is moving from iPads to Chromebooks this year, I have been bouncing around ideas on how to make this work. Originally, I would have the students take a photo of their homework with Camscanner and create a pdf to submit. Now, with Chromebooks, I am wondering how other people have been able to make it work? The solution I have temporarily embraced is to have the students take a photo with the camera on the Chromebook then use CloudConvert to create a pdf for submission. I appreciate any suggestions as this will be my first year using Canvas. Thank you in advance to everyone that has an idea or method.

Regards,

Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Surveyor

Really this seems like a more general question about best ways to digitize work done physically for online submission to Canvas. There isn't too much different about a Chromebook than any other device when it comes to this.

The use of the Chromebook camera to digitize work done on paper sounds like the best approach without adding additional hardware. If you could get a scanner in the room you may get higher quality submissions but you may also run in to additional technical problems.

You can eliminate a step if you are ok with allowing the students to submit image files rather than PDF's. The only limitation being you, as an instructor, can't use the Crocodoc commenting features on an image the way you can a document but you could add comments in the comment box or download the image, mark it up, and then attach it to the a comment.

Until we get 3D scanners on the consumer market taking pictures of physical objects is about the best digitization option around. So I think you're on the right path. You may look for opportunities to reduce the amount of work done on paper, but without knowing more about your situation I'm not sure this is even an option.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user​, I don't (yet) have an answer for your question, but please tell us this: What grade level(s) will you be teaching? And what type of homework are the students currently completing on paper?

I will be teaching advanced 7th and 8th grade math. The homework they will be receiving are worksheets from HRW books saved on my computer. I also have Examview but I think I will transfer the Examview questions manually to Canvas so the students can can the quiz and/or test on the computer.

In that case, Deactivated user, the advice awilliams​ has given you sounds like the best approach.

awilliams
Surveyor

Really this seems like a more general question about best ways to digitize work done physically for online submission to Canvas. There isn't too much different about a Chromebook than any other device when it comes to this.

The use of the Chromebook camera to digitize work done on paper sounds like the best approach without adding additional hardware. If you could get a scanner in the room you may get higher quality submissions but you may also run in to additional technical problems.

You can eliminate a step if you are ok with allowing the students to submit image files rather than PDF's. The only limitation being you, as an instructor, can't use the Crocodoc commenting features on an image the way you can a document but you could add comments in the comment box or download the image, mark it up, and then attach it to the a comment.

Until we get 3D scanners on the consumer market taking pictures of physical objects is about the best digitization option around. So I think you're on the right path. You may look for opportunities to reduce the amount of work done on paper, but without knowing more about your situation I'm not sure this is even an option.

View solution in original post

If students submit an image file, can I still make comments in Speedgrader? I thought the only way to do this was with a pdf file. I appreciate the training wheels as I am learning on the fly.

My goal is to try an eliminate excuses from the students such as I forgot/lost my homework, I didn't get the homework because I was absent, etc. All assignments will be posted in the Canvas classroom along with notes for each lesson. I'm just struggling with how to make this the most efficient process possible so I can spend the majority of class teaching. I figure the first week of school will be learning how to use this online supplement to benefit all of us but I would like it to be streamlined so I can focus on teaching starting the second week. Thank you for the information and suggestions.

auben5
Community Member

I know more less what to put, so what I need is more examples. thanks about balanced  scorecard

@auben5 , please refer to my comment on your other post: I am looking for balanced scorecard