cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tlesteves
Community Member

Screen share on an iPad?

Jump to solution

I work away from the office and travel with the iPad as much as possible, but I have not yet found a way to do a screen share with students when I am trying to have a virtual meeting and show them how to do something in Canvas, our library, etc. Many programs give you options by connecting on the same wifi as your desktop/laptop, but that defeats the purpose. I’ve looked at WebEx, Zoom, Jigsaw, GoToMeeting/Webinar, etc. Of course the workaround is to do FaceTime or something and have the phone pointed at my screen, but that also seems a bit antiquated. Or do I just need to move to a different style of tablet than iPad?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tammy Esteves‌, 

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I did some research on this as well. Apparently, Apple has added an API with iOS 11 that allows developers to do full screen "broadcast" - They just need to write it into their app (Like WebEx did). Maybe this is something that Instructure can add? ( :

ReplyKIT has been available for a little while with iOS, but it's only to capture the current app and not the whole phone experience. 

Anyways, I've seen some other developers do this already, but haven't found a "free" option that most people will want. Either way, it's good to see this is now available for iOS and I hope to see more developers take advantage of it. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @tlesteves ‌ - I am in absolutely no position to answer this myself, but I just now shared your question with the Canvas Mobile Users‌ group, which you may want to join yourself.  I assume that you are most interested in synchronous use with a class as opposed to simply recording things from your screen.  My few experiments with an iPad have been limited to asynchronous screen recordings using apps such as Educreations, ShowMe, and Explain Everything.  You may want to pay a visit to this web site, as well, to see a few others if you haven't already:  Screencasting - Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything .

But if anyone can offer you suggestions to live demonstrations, I'm sure it's some of the people in the Mobile Users group!  I've seen some great suggestions from them in the past!

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi! Are you wanting to screen share the Canvas mobile app or just Canvas in the mobile web browser? 

@rseilham  - Just a general share, so that if I need to show them something in Canvas, or our library, I can do so. After much conversation with Apple Help last night, I’ve found a workaround to be able to use WebEx. It is a bit clunky but at least it works for now. It still seems like there should be an easier way. 

257949_D8DE1588-BC6D-449E-B923-14246A395C36.jpeg

257950_ACF6CA69-2243-4C3A-AEC3-880E91778C40.jpeg

Tammy Esteves‌, 

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I did some research on this as well. Apparently, Apple has added an API with iOS 11 that allows developers to do full screen "broadcast" - They just need to write it into their app (Like WebEx did). Maybe this is something that Instructure can add? ( :

ReplyKIT has been available for a little while with iOS, but it's only to capture the current app and not the whole phone experience. 

Anyways, I've seen some other developers do this already, but haven't found a "free" option that most people will want. Either way, it's good to see this is now available for iOS and I hope to see more developers take advantage of it. 

View solution in original post