cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mathew
Community Member

Search Canvas Discussion Posts

Jump to solution

I am a faculty and I use Canvas DISCUSSIONS a lot in my teaching. Often I want to look at a specific students responses to discussions that have happened through the whole semester. In other words, if over the course of a semester there were 20 different discussion threads and I want to find how one student, (let's say Kelly Nash) has responded to all the different discussions, I would like to be able to enter the student's name (say Kelly' Nash) in the search bar and get all of Kelly's responses as the output. Currently I do not think this is possible in Canvas. Am I right? Is there anyway I can do this? I must admit I do not understand the Canvas DISCUSSIONS search function at all. When I enter a keyword or a student's unique last name in the search bar I do not understand the results that show up (or the "no items") when I run  the search. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mathew , greetings! I'm sorry your question has sat here for so long without a response. You are correct that there is no way on the front end of Canvas to get this information. There is a way to count the number of posts for a course - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers/blog/2016/01/02/how-to-count-student-discus... - but this wouldn't include the actual text of each discussion. 

Kona

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mathew , greetings! I'm sorry your question has sat here for so long without a response. You are correct that there is no way on the front end of Canvas to get this information. There is a way to count the number of posts for a course - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers/blog/2016/01/02/how-to-count-student-discus... - but this wouldn't include the actual text of each discussion. 

Kona

View solution in original post

Darth
Surveyor

Request if this addition has been added?

richkingsford
Surveyor II

You might try Atomic Search

This Canvas plugin lets you search discussions (and other things) just like you'd expect.