cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Search function in SpeedGrader?

Hello! I'm relatively new to Canvas and wondering if there is a way to search the student list in SpeedGrader. There are over 600 students in the course so scrolling down to the name I'm interested in looking up is a little tedious. 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi jessica.hill@utoronto.ca, and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Unfortunately, there is not a search feature in SpeedGrader; which, as you say, would be incredibly useful in large enrollment courses.

There is a request for improvements to SpeedGrader to support large courses at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10890-speedgrader-should-allow-grading-of-large-classes that you might want to check out and support. Please note that this idea does not specifically mention "search" feature, so you may want to add it to your comments.

And here is another one related to the size of the course that you might also want to support at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11696-dont-limit-speed-grader-to-65-submissions-in-order-to-se... 

Kelley

Highlighted

Thank you Kelley, this is useful information! I will take a look at these links. 

Highlighted
Explorer

Hi jessica.hill@utoronto.ca
As Kelley says, you can't search in the SpeedGrader. But there is a workaround - you can search in the course gradebook and when you find the student there, jump straight to their submission in the SpeedGrader. Click "Grades" from the course menu then when the gradebook opens, type the student's name or ID into the filter box. When the student's grades are displayed, find the column for the assignment you want to mark and click in the corner of the box, then you'll get a pop-up window with a link saying "More details in SpeedGrader".

I realise this is not ideal because if you're marking lots of submissions you will need to keep jumping back and forth between grades and SpeedGrader each time you want to find the next student.

Highlighted

Thank you, Steve! That's a reasonable workaround for the time being. 

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels