cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Secure Admin for Canvas

I have an issue with security. I am Admin on our School Canvas.

I have a DeanDerran account showing up consistently on our school People section in which Hacker has posted "students" who come through our school account via a back door? It comes via Chrome browser, only once did it come via FireFox. The Hackers, unknown to me came starting in January, I only just took over and I've seen evidence of them through Chrome attaching to School Canvas each night, in the middle of the night or early morning. The hackers are enrolled as teachers. Some of their activity include "posters" of Dumps Cert, IT Cert, and Other advertisements. They have trolled my ELA courses. I have implemented no sync on Chrome which ends up locking up my students Google Doc Collaboration. That no sync step held them somewhat at bay. How do I stop them from penetrating our Canvas account?

I've deleted 5 x 15 people per page accumulated since January; now I'm deleting at least 3-6 hackers each day. I really need some help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

I would check user permissions and look for someone with permission to add users.  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Admin-Guide/How-do-I-set-permissions-for-an-account-level-role/ta... If you have "teachers" who do not belong, that you delete and then they reappear, you likely also have someone with admin rights they should not have.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi, I have two of us working through my account, since I'm teaching too, to hunt up how these folks get in. Each one is labeled "enrolled as teacher". When I open their Pages or Files, they aren't seeable by our students, only by me as Admin. Each hacker has IT Cert, Dump, Hero Plus, Gold posters in Pages.

I looked through my Google Drive, and they enter along that path to Canvas that is synced due to having Google Collaboration for all Online Students. 

How would anyone get in, if we delete past teacher users? Thank you for answering me that 45 page .pdf was pretty intimidating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If you have narrowed down the point of access to your google collaboration, I would change the password on your google account, and look into the security options in google for securing your account.  How anyone could hack from your google account into canvas is beyond my limited knowledge.  However, since you have identified that as the path, I would remove the google collaboration from you admin account.  Then set up a faculty account for yourself to use in running the online course that needs the google collaboration.  If hackers actually come in through your collaboration, at least that way they will not have access to your admin privileges.

I am completely self-taught, and I know nothing about hacking, so I would also recommend contacting canvas support to talk to an expert about this issue.  Google collaborations should not allow a hacker in your google account to access canvas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you.

I have been trying to get with Canvas.  Apparently they are busy and have only assigned me a Number for my concern. The phone number says to go here.

I do appreciate the advice you do offer and will change my Google Drive connection to my schools gmail.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The 24/7 chat or phone support is the fastest response time available, but lately it does take hours waiting for your position in line to count down from 99+.  What you get here though is only a response from random other canvas users with varied skill levels

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Two of us did try the phone number offered under security help, and it said If you are Canvas, go to online help and create a ticket. Bridge gets phone help, not Canvas unfortunately.

I did just get some info from Help Security to look into the our severe case of "hackers" invading our school's territory. Hopefully that will bring results. 

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels