cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aimee_garten
Community Member

Security/Safety of Attachments

I have an adjunct colleague who is very concerned about "viruses, malware, worms, etc." when opening attachments from students in Canvas (including student work attached to discussions and student work attached to quizzes). This colleague has shared the concern with students about opening any attachments in class. 

What can I share with this colleague to make them comfortable with attachments in Canvas? Their fear and avoidance of attachments is problematic with our curriculum. Am I missing some glaring security issue that is not addressed in this LMS?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @aimee_garten  

We have been using Canvas for almost 7 years without a single security issue. I work in the Canvas Community, and know a rather large number of Instructure folks, and have never heard of a problem. That doesn't mean there are no issues, but the links below might help.................

I hope these are helpful,

Kelley

Thank you, Kelley. I also heard from Instructure and I feel totally secure, but I don't know what to do about this situation. I'll share these links with my fingers crossed!

<http://ashford.edu/community/social_media.htm?utm_campaign=socialadurl&sourcecode=AUA-2011072&utm_content=Publication&utm_source=AU&utm_medium=Print>

laurakgibbs
Surveyor

I don't know if this is any help, but at my school the IT department offers virus protection software and other tips. I would guess that your colleague would do well to use anti-virus software, make sure it's up to date, know how to adjust the settings as needed, etc. That is valuable knowledge to have, and also to pass on to your students.

djgreene
Surveyor

I don't agree with any of the replies to this question; just because you have never been in a car accident doesn't mean it will never happen. Additionally, virus protection on the downloading user's end is NOT a safe security design. Virus and malware scanning should be performed the moment a user uploads a document to ensure the safety of the community!

Can we please get a direct, YES or NO, answer from Canvas on this? Does Canvas scan user uploaded documents for viruses or malware; yes or no?