cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rachel1
Community Member

Security of learning resources - how do you do it? Used Locklizard?

Our RTO has just written learning resources for our courses. There has been a lot of time and effort placed into the graphic design and layout. We want to place our resources on Canvas is a PDF format or some other HTML format so the design and layout can be securely preserved. I know we could put it into the normal Canvas format, but that would be a huge task at present and it will probably be the long term solution, but for now our CEO wants to ensure that the resources cannot be printed, transferred to other parties, screenshot etc I am looking at a product called Locklizard https://www.locklizard.com/   Has anyone used this in Canvas to successful secure their learning resources?  

6 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @rachel1 , to attract the eyes of some of our experts, I've shared your question with the Canvas Admins‌ and Instructional Designers‌ groups.

ejackson
Learner II

I'm not sure what PDF program you use but in Adobe Acrobat Pro, there is a way of going into the document's Properties and changing the security settings to lock them down. It's under File, Properties, and then clicking on the "Security" tab. You can choose Password Security, assign a password to the document, and then change the settings to restrict editing and printing of the document. Only people with the password will be allowed to do this. You don't have to set a password in order to be able to open/view the document, but you can if you want.

268324_pastedImage_2.png

I hope this information helps!

rachel1
Community Member

Thank you Elizabeth!!!!  That sounds ideal. Will look at it now. Thank you for taking the time to share this with me. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @rachel1 ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  While I don't really have any feedback for you myself, I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since the middle of February.  Based on  @ejackson 's response, were you able to look at the options available to you in Adobe Acrobat Pro for locking down PDFs?  Did Elizabeth's solution help to answer your question?  Are there any outstanding question you have as it relates to your original question?  If you feel that Elizabeth has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark her reply as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance with this question, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread in quite some time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Rachel.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

rachel1
Community Member

I am looking into just inserting images into pages and I do not want these images to be printed. Is there any function of canvas to stop these images being saved or printed?

rachel1
Community Member

Further update. I tried both the Adobe PDF security and Lock Lizard. Lock Lizard was perfect but it involved issuing usernames and passwords and releasing units. Very time consuming and we have decided not an efficient business process to pursue. The Adobe PDF didn't meet our requirements either. Will just insert images of our resource booklet into Canvas course pages and do it that way.