cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thompsli
Learner II

See submission dates and comments for an assignment for a whole class on one page?

Jump to solution

Is there an easy way to see a report that includes both when each student submitted an assignment and all submission comments for that assignment on a single page for each class?

I have to track that I have two "back and forth interactions on different days" with each of my students each week due to my state's attendance rules, and right now I'm doing it with two weekly "attendance tracking" assignments where they set goals and then reflect on their week. They can complete the assignments by submitting a text entry that I respond to, but I also mark them complete if we had some other interaction (such as coming to my in-person office hours or sending me a question about the class using Canvas Messages).

However, I'm running into an issue where there is no streamlined way to confirm that their second submission is on a different school day than their first submission. (I have it set up where they can't submit the second one until I've scored the first one using Module Requirements to keep them from turning them both in at once, but that doesn't keep them from doing one in the morning before I grade and one that evening.) I have to track this by hand, and the only view I can find that has their both submission time and the submission comments (which is where I document the date and nature of the interaction if it wasn't through the assignment) is in SpeedGrader, which means I have to switch to each student in the previous assignment whenever I grade the second one for them. (They can do any two days during the school week, so I can't solve this problem by having the assignments available only on non-overlapping days.)

I'm looking for some way to have the entire class's submission dates and submission comments for the "goals" assignment up on one monitor while I grade the "reflections" assignment on my other monitor, basically.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hrrrm....it looks like that's just a download of the submission comments on that particular submission, not of all submission comments on that student's assignments in the course so far (which makes sense based on what it's probably for). Since I'm trying to cross-compare two different assignments to make sure they were submitted on different dates, I don't think it gets me any further than just keeping SpeedGrader open for each assignment in different tabs would.

After some poking I've taken to mostly trying to figure out dates through New Gradebook, since I can see which students submitted the first assignment late versus on time for the whole class at a glance (since they definitely submitted the second one on a different day because it's not available until the day after the first one is due), then check the submission comments on the late submissions to find out how which day they were submitted. This is still not a great system because it involves multiple tabs being open and me clicking around to check things manually rather than letting computers keep track of quantitative rules on my behalf, but it's been more efficient than having SpeedGrader open for both assignments in different tabs and means I only have to check comments for some submissions and not all of them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@thompsli , I can’t think of a good way to do this for the entire class, but you could do it per student - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15566-4152980518 

Kona

Hrrrm....it looks like that's just a download of the submission comments on that particular submission, not of all submission comments on that student's assignments in the course so far (which makes sense based on what it's probably for). Since I'm trying to cross-compare two different assignments to make sure they were submitted on different dates, I don't think it gets me any further than just keeping SpeedGrader open for each assignment in different tabs would.

After some poking I've taken to mostly trying to figure out dates through New Gradebook, since I can see which students submitted the first assignment late versus on time for the whole class at a glance (since they definitely submitted the second one on a different day because it's not available until the day after the first one is due), then check the submission comments on the late submissions to find out how which day they were submitted. This is still not a great system because it involves multiple tabs being open and me clicking around to check things manually rather than letting computers keep track of quantitative rules on my behalf, but it's been more efficient than having SpeedGrader open for both assignments in different tabs and means I only have to check comments for some submissions and not all of them.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Definitely not a great system, but I’m glad you figured out something that would save you a little time and get you what you needed!