cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Self assign student groups

Jump to solution

I am trying to create student groups where students can self assign with a class. I have created the group names and sent an email to students that allow them to join. However, when they go to collaborate and choose a group... the join tab does not appear. Instead they are typing their name and selecting submit. The groups that they join are not showing up on my feed and are not showing up on their menu as groups to collaborate. Any advice?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Catherine,

What limitation are you referring to?  With this post over a year ago I don't know that we ever established what the actual problem was.  The link below shows how to create self sign-up groups in Canvas.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10169-415255486 

Rick

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Tina,

Do you have the People tab visible in your course?  Typically this is the easiest place for students to view and join Groups.  I'm not entirely sure they can join a group from Collaborations.

Rick

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, tina.rogers@edmondschools.net...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on January 11, 2019.  It looks like rmurchshafer@unomaha.edu replied to you a couple days later.  Have you had an opportunity to review his response?  If so, did his response help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from members of the Community?  If you feel that Rick's feedback has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and click the "Mark Correct" button next to his reply.  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please come back to this topic to post a message below letting us know how we might be able to help out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Tina.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Highlighted

We are still not able to allow our students to self-assign. My tech

department is working with CANVAS on a solution, but as of training last

week we did not have an answer. Currently the only grouping option as

teachers we have for students is to assign every student ourselves to a

group. I would love to be able to allow students to independently assign

themselves to groups in the CANVAS class.

Highlighted
Community Member

I am very frustrated by this limitation.  It really invalidates the option of self-assign groups for my purposes.  When I used Bb, this was an easy matter, and worked well with my class.  The hurdles I need to perform to work around this are not intuitive for students.  Have you made any progress on this feature?

Highlighted

Catherine,

What limitation are you referring to?  With this post over a year ago I don't know that we ever established what the actual problem was.  The link below shows how to create self sign-up groups in Canvas.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10169-415255486 

Rick

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for the quick response, Rick. My comment was targeted towards a previous statement about the inability to connect self-assign groups to an Assignment. Everything I’ve read in the Canvas Guide says that the ability to do this hasn’t been developed. I understand how to use groups for grading purposes—that’s easy. And creating a self-assign group is also easy. It’s attaching the self-assign function to an assignment that seems to be the snag for Canvas.

To be clear, I am trying to set up an assignment that isn’t due for a couple of weeks that provides students with a link to group topics to self-assign. Do you have any advice for that? If not, I may choose to create a discussion board for topic assignment request, and then manually create the groups for grading.

Highlighted

Can't you just make it a group assignment and when you create the Group Set, check the box fo Allow Self sign up?  

335260_pastedImage_1.png

Here is a short video showing how I set one up . Studio 

Rick

Highlighted

Hi Rick,

I have done that, Rick. Where I see the problem is the ability to view just groups. Because of FERPA, I can’t let students have access to the People Tab on the left toolbar. In our system, that provides the student ID number, which is confidential. Is there a way around this? If there is a way for them to access the signup screen without disclosing their private information, I would appreciate knowing. By the way, our institution was very clear about student privacy matters in Canvas.

Cathy

Highlighted

Rick, I think I found a way to resolve the problem, and I’m working with it. If I edit the “All Roles” options in the Everyone tab (People), I can select a role that doesn’t exist in the class, in my case Observer. That effectively deals with the FERPA issue. Now I have to figure out why my teams are locked for enrollment. Yes, I have checked all my access dates, but I will keep on experimenting.

Cathy