cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebecca_oliphan
Community Member

Separate class sections into groups

Jump to solution

How do I separate classes that are all put together to form groups.  Like all the sections are together for ease but now I want to separate each class into groups. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @rebecca_oliphan  - There is, thankfully, a very easy way to do this!  Follow the instructions outlined in this online lesson:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12809-415255490 The key part is enabling the checkbox Require group members to be in the same section.  That's pretty much it.  So if, for example, you have 3 sections mixed together and you simply want all the students from each section in their own group (3 groups total, 1 for each section) you can let Canvas do the work by using its ability to automatically create groups and simply specify 3 groups and enabling the checkbox mentioned above.  Presto!  Three groups will be created and all the students in each will be from the same section.

I hope this helps, Rebecca.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @rebecca_oliphan  - There is, thankfully, a very easy way to do this!  Follow the instructions outlined in this online lesson:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12809-415255490 The key part is enabling the checkbox Require group members to be in the same section.  That's pretty much it.  So if, for example, you have 3 sections mixed together and you simply want all the students from each section in their own group (3 groups total, 1 for each section) you can let Canvas do the work by using its ability to automatically create groups and simply specify 3 groups and enabling the checkbox mentioned above.  Presto!  Three groups will be created and all the students in each will be from the same section.

I hope this helps, Rebecca.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thank you. I tried and it worked!

In my subject, I have the following sections, automatically created: lecture (which includes all the students),  tutorial group 1, tutorial group 2, and so on.

If want to create groups, such that each group must have students only from the same tutorial group, I am unable to do that.  If I check Require group members to be in the same section, the system allocates students from different tutorial groups to the same group (presumably, because they all are in the same Lecture section together).

Is there any solution to this? I cannot delete Lecture section.

Thank you,

Svetlana