cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Set amount of time for course or module

Is there a way to set an amount of time that student must complete in a course or a module? 

We offer a course where students must be logged into the course for a certain number of hours to receive the certificate at the end.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Layel,

I am not aware of a way to limit the time a student has to complete a module. You can set time limits on quizzes and test, but not an entire module from what I know. 

I am going to share this over with the Instructional Designers‌ group to see if maybe anyone in there knows of a way or has a suggestion for you on how this can be done. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi lburton2524@stanly.edu...

Tracking actual time can be tricky.  For example, if you require students to spend three hours per module, besides the tasks they have actually completed or turned in to you via Canvas, how would you know they actually spent those full three hours online?  They could have spent an hour doing the work, left their computer (still logged in to Canvas) for 90 minutes, and then returned another day to log another 30 minutes in Canvas but not really doing anything.  That's just an example of how actual time vs. displayed time can be misleading.  There is an access report that you can look through for each of your students, but that doesn't necessarily tell you how much time was spent on any given item in your course.  How do I view the course access report for an individual user?

I hope this helps a bit, Layel.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

lburton2524@stanly.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment. Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels