cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Setting Up an Ungraded Assignment

Jump to solution

Our faculty wants to have the option to set up activities in Canvas where students upload a product for possible use in their eportfolios, but faculty does not need to nor have the time to grade the activity. How would you set this up in Canvas? Right now, these activities are set up as an assignment worth zero points. However, we run into the problem of the system marking them missing, late, etc. unless the faculty goes through the Speedgrader and puts in a zero for the points. Are there ways to avoid this?

Note: If we mark the assignment type as "not graded," it doesn't allow for an upload of any kind.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

One of the simplest ways to accomplish this is to create it as an Assignment worth 0 points, and then for 'Display Grade as' select either 'Points' or 'Complete/Incomplete' from the drop down list, either of which allows for 'Submission Types'. *IMPORTANT: be sure to check the box for 'Do not count this assignment towards the final grade', which is just beneath 'Display Grade as'. Finally, to avoid those annoying missing/overdue notices, leave the 'Available from' and 'Until' dates blank. This should accomplish what you are trying to do. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

One of the simplest ways to accomplish this is to create it as an Assignment worth 0 points, and then for 'Display Grade as' select either 'Points' or 'Complete/Incomplete' from the drop down list, either of which allows for 'Submission Types'. *IMPORTANT: be sure to check the box for 'Do not count this assignment towards the final grade', which is just beneath 'Display Grade as'. Finally, to avoid those annoying missing/overdue notices, leave the 'Available from' and 'Until' dates blank. This should accomplish what you are trying to do. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you! I was just missing a few steps to make this happen. I appreciate your time.

Highlighted

You are very welcome Martha Paben... I'm always happy to help wherever I can!    ;>)

Highlighted

Thank you but when I did that a column was created in the grade book for the ungraded assignment as 0% ? how can i avoid this? if I cant avoid this what happens when students submit?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Why does the Submission types box disappear when we select Not graded? For competency based courses I want the student to just look at the ungraded rubric and see if they are 'satisfactory' or 'not yet satisfactory' in each competency i don't want an overall grade.

If I select points and set up a mapping to a marking scheme the student sees a large 0% (with a circle around it) on their phone and gets upset.

David.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels