Setting course dates outside term

Jump to solution
kshollen
Community Novice

Hello, I am a faculty member and I want to give one student access this summer to a class that is scheduled to begin this fall. I tried to change the course dates below, but the student says they still do not have access. Just now I tried also deselecting the "Students can only participate..." option, but I wanted to check if there is something else I should do before asking the student to try again. Thanks, Kim

Changing course dates may override term availability settings and placement in the Courses page and Dashboard. Please confirm term dates before modifying course dates.
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:00am
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:00am
When selected, the course is in a read-only state outside these dates.
When selected, the course is inaccessible outside course dates. If the course dates are blank, these start and end dates apply to the term dates.
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@kshollen  

The dates that you put in for the course settings will not override term dates unless you also check one of the boxes beneath it. When we need to extend a semester for a student, we change the dates and select the "students can only participate ..." box.

Please see these lessons from the Canvas Instructor Guide for more information.

There is also a Student Course Visibility & Participation Flowchart that you may find helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Likes