cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harmons
Surveyor

Setting up a 2-tiered due date for discussions

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a graded discussion to require students to post an initial response by one day, and then open everything for reaction/discussion on a different date. For example, students have from the end of class (on a Wednesday) until Sunday to post a response to activities; then, they have from Monday until Wednesday to react to their colleagues' initial responses. I know how to do it in other LMSs, but I don't see it in Canvas. I see that you can set an overall due date, which is great. But how do I get the 2-tiered due dates? Or is it not possible right now?

If it's not something we can do in Canvas now, any ideas for apps that would allow that, that I can integrate into Canvas?

Thanks,

--Sarah

8 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@harmons , Canvas currently doesn't have a provision for multiple due dates for graded discussions. I've seen various workarounds proposed, but the best one comes from  @dhulsey ​ (originally posted here😞

My solution is to get discussion replies into the dashboard by using an assignment with no grade and no submission. This shows up in the to-do list and the calendar without an additional grade book column.

In the instructions, I link back to the discussion. Like this:

Go to "Discussion: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass" and complete part B of the discussion by replying to another student. Posting this reply is part of the grade for the discussion.

The downside is that there is a tedious first time setup. Also, students complain that the reply does not disappear off of the to-do list when they post the reply. Although, it does come off the to do list after the due time for the reply passes.

A popular feature idea for multiple due dates for discussions is currently open for voting and in the Product Radar stage:

Last, while you might find some third-party or LTI discussion tools that allow for two-tiered due dates, I don't think you'll find any that will allow for graded discussions, nor would SpeedGrading or grade passback be available for such third-party tools. I wouldn't mind being contradicted on this, though, if someone has found an LTI that works for this purpose.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I use a two-tiered due date system for my online and hybrid courses and initially tried doing it in Canvas (so creating a zero point assignment as the initial due date and then have the discussion as the final/reply due date) and found it cumbersome. I switched to one due date in Canvas, but reminding the students on the discussion that there were two due dates and also having it on the syllabus and syllabus quiz, as well as emailing the students reminding them of it the first few weeks. After that the students seem to get that there were actually two due dates and were ok the rest of the semester. Yet, I would love if I could set two due dates and if there's a third party LTI that will do this I'd love to hear about it as well!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @harmons ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this discussion topic since December 30, 2016.  Did either of the responses from stefaniesanders‌ or  @kona ‌ help to resolve your question?  If so, please go ahead an mark one of them as "Correct".  However, if you are still seeking help, please let us know that as well.  For now, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity since late December.  I hope this is okay with you, Sarah.

Heyyas Chris--

I saw both responses, but they highlight the need for this function in Canvas. Both of the solutions they posted are way too clunky and unnecessarily so. Beyond that, they're confusing to students, so I won't be employing them. (Kona even indicated that it wasn't a good work-around.) So, yes, for now it's 'Answered' just because it's clear that it can't really be done in Canvas. Smiley Sad

Is there any movement to make it a feature of the discussions?

Thanks,

--s

@harmons ‌, it's definitely a workaround, and definitely not ideal. Smiley Sad It's not necessary to create a new feature idea for this, because the existing idea is in Product Radar status. I hope you will add your vote and feedback to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1555-multiple-due-dates-checkpoints-for-discussions 

Thanks, Stefanie. I had already voted it up before I started the thread, but I encourage others who perhaps haven't yet voted to do so. This is a feature that should be considered basic and common, and should get in!

--s

Sarah - 

I am facing the same situation.  I took an @ONE online course to learn how to develop and teach an online course (fantastic course) and they used the two-tiered date approach for their graded discussions.  The instructions to me, as a student, were clear and useful - initial post due Wed at 11P and peer replies due Sat at 11P.  As I tried to implement it as an instructor, it didn't work so well so I asked an @ONE instructor how they do it.  Here's her response: We actually just set the due for Wednesday night, but then we didn't grade them until after Saturday night. Nothing fancy! You have to set the due date for the initial post, and then just allow peer replies after that due date. We didn't use the "availability" date setting at all.

I then found this helpful article from the University of Utah Article on how to setup two-tiered graded discussion dates in Canvas.

I hate "workarounds" but Canvas is what it is.

Cheers.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @harmons ‌...

Sorry to hear that the above responses didn't quite answer your question.  But, to answer your question...yes, you can absolutely submit a Feature Idea here in the Community so that people can begin voting on it.  First, I would suggest that you click on the "Ideas" link at the very top of the screen.  Once there, you'll see a large search box in the middle of your screen.  Use keywords to search for ideas that are similar to what you're looking for (to avoid duplicating an existing idea).  You may need to use a combination of different keywords when searching...as you may get different results.  If you do not find any ideas that meet your needs, then go ahead an make a new Feature Idea request.  This document, How do I create a new feature idea?, explains how you can create a new Feature Idea here in the Community.

I hope this helps, Sarah.