cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Setting up a group assignment within a course

Jump to solution

I want to set up a group assignment within my course.  Not seeing how to do that such that I can assign students to a group.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, nancyrhoover@gmail.com Thank You for posting your question.  Here are the steps on how to set up a group for your assignment:

1. You'll want to follow the steps outlined in How do I add a group set in a course?  For example, your group set name could be the name of your assignment.  (Example: Team Project)
  2. Once you create your group set, then you will want to create the groups (Example: Blue Group, Green Group, Red, Group, etc.) within that group set using one of these Guides...depending on your preference:
  3. You can also assign students to groups in a couple different ways:
  4. Once you have your group set and groups created and configured the way you want, then it's time to assign that group set to the assignment.  Go to your assignment, and "Edit" the settings for that assignment.  Use the following Guide: How do I assign an assignment to a course group?  You'll be choosing the group set name that you initially created in step #1 above.
  5. Save your changes, and you should be good to go.

The nice thing about groups is that you can make another group set that is entirely different from the first.  For example, if you had another assignment in your course where you wanted students to work in groups...different from the groups you created for the first assignment, you can do that just as easily.  Just create a brand new group set (again, maybe with the name of the assignment), and then name your groups within that group set however you want, and then assign the students appropriately.

I hope this helps, Nancy.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, nancyrhoover@gmail.com Thank You for posting your question.  Here are the steps on how to set up a group for your assignment:

1. You'll want to follow the steps outlined in How do I add a group set in a course?  For example, your group set name could be the name of your assignment.  (Example: Team Project)
  2. Once you create your group set, then you will want to create the groups (Example: Blue Group, Green Group, Red, Group, etc.) within that group set using one of these Guides...depending on your preference:
  3. You can also assign students to groups in a couple different ways:
  4. Once you have your group set and groups created and configured the way you want, then it's time to assign that group set to the assignment.  Go to your assignment, and "Edit" the settings for that assignment.  Use the following Guide: How do I assign an assignment to a course group?  You'll be choosing the group set name that you initially created in step #1 above.
  5. Save your changes, and you should be good to go.

The nice thing about groups is that you can make another group set that is entirely different from the first.  For example, if you had another assignment in your course where you wanted students to work in groups...different from the groups you created for the first assignment, you can do that just as easily.  Just create a brand new group set (again, maybe with the name of the assignment), and then name your groups within that group set however you want, and then assign the students appropriately.

I hope this helps, Nancy.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

very helpful! Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nancyrhoover@gmail.com, do either of these documents provide insight that would be helpful?

How do I automatically assign students to groups? 

How do I manually assign students to groups? 

These other documents may also be useful.

What are Groups? 

How do I add a group set in a course? 

How do I manually create groups in a group set? 

How do I automatically create groups in a group set? 

I hope these are helpful but if not please let us know!

Highlighted
Community Member

I would like to propose that a feature be added to group assignment to allow teachers to choose groups from class blocks instead of all students assigned to the class for the year.  It's difficult to siphon through a full year of students to assign groups for one class block.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

agrisham@alcornschools.org...

This is not the correct area to propose new feature ideas for Canvas.  You'd want to review these Guides:

How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?  

How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14905-75187841185 

Please make sure to first search for existing ideas here in the Community.  Maybe you'll find a similar idea that people have already started voting for...and you can just add our own vote and comment on it, too.

I hope this helps, Angie.

0 Kudos
Labels