Settings Option Missing (Admin Masquerading as Instructor)

Jump to solution
NCC89
Community Member

Hello! We are setting up trainings for Faculty in our first Canvas launch, and I am periodically masquerading as instructors to make sure I understand what they have available to them in their view (so that I am not asking them to do something that only admins can do). 

When I masqueraded as a Faculty member, I noticed they did not appear to have the Settings option on the left navigation menu in their course (that includes: Course Details, Sections, Navigation, Apps, & Feature Options). My questions are:

1. Do Faculty without Admin privileges have this Settings option?

2. If so, why could I not see that option when I masqueraded? Are there other things I won't be able to see when I masquerade as a Faculty member?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
nwilson7
Community Champion

@NCC89 , I apologize if this is a dumb question, but when I have seen this before, It is because it was being hidden under the purple bar telling me I was acting as X user.  When I changed my resolution or extended the screen in some fashion, I was able to see the settings button like I should.  Have you tried that?

Anyone with "Teacher", "Designer" or "TA" level access or access based on one of those will see the settings button.  Students and Observers do not.

-Nick

View solution in original post

NCC89
Community Member

@nwilson7 , I think you must be right! I tried to change my resolution and extend my screen on various devices and couldn't get the Settings button to appear while masquerading. When I hit Stop Acting as User to exit out of the purple bar, there it was at the bottom of the page! So even though I can't see it while masquerading, at least I can rest easy knowing it is there for instructors. Thank you for your help with this!

--Nancy

View solution in original post