cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Share RTE between students and instructor?

I would like to have students working in a module repitive getting back to the same RTE.  Letting the students collect thaughts and ideas to use later in the module.

I also would the students to able to contuine writing next lesson. And as an instructor I would like to able to read what they produce during the lesson. 

In the best of worlds all these take place in Canvas without the use of for example Word. Is this possible?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

linus.osterholm@realgymnasiet.se, greetings! I'm sorry that your question has sat here for so long without a response. Were you ever able to figure out a way to do this? If not, then I'd be happy to help, but could you explain more about what RTE stands for? I think that might help as I try to come up with suggestions.

Thanks! Kona

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lamplighter

I would guess that RTE stood for Rich Text Editor. I think Linus is asking about a way to have the contents entered with the Rich Content Editor be persistent, perhaps to have an on-going assignment. Similar to what a journal would be where you can write something this week and come back next week and add to what you already have rather than starting over with a blank editor. Canvas is not setup that way, assignments are meant to be turned in and have a single grade associated with them, not persist across several weeks or lessons.

Using Word or Google Docs is probably the best solution here. I am unfamiliar with how Office 365 shares, but this probably should not be a Cloud Assignment, since those are associated with a single grade. I have used Google Docs, though, and see potential here.

Students could turn in the same document multiple times through a File Upload submission type. This would work whether it's Word or Google Docs.

Another approach is to make it be shared through a web URL submission and turn it in once. Then the instructor can check it each week or after each lesson by visiting the same page and it will always reflect the latest version, including what's been entered since the last time. I would opt for turning it in multiple times so I have a record of what was accomplished and when, defeating student arguments that it was done when it wasn't, but it really depends on how the instructor wants to use it.

If the instructor doesn't want to do any grading of it, but wants to see (and edit or comment) on the document, then that can be accomplished by adding the instructor to the list of people the document is shared with.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you for your answer!

I've been testing with handing in with an URL-link from the office 365 document. That doesn't work and I think it has something to do with office365 rather then Canvas. The same procedure works with Google Drive. The students have Office 365 so that would be the best way. For know on I think I will go for handing in a regular word-document several times. 

Highlighted
Lamplighter

I'm sorry you haven't been able to get Google Docs to work for you in the past. Sometimes it seems to work and other times it doesn't.

If I actually want them to submit a file, I've had mixed results.  When allowing a file upload, I get a "Google Doc" and a "Google Drive" integration. I have not had much success using the "Google Drive," with it not working more times than it works.  However, the students have no problems submitting through "Google Doc" tab. I haven't heard one-way or another about the "Office 365" integration.

314834_pastedImage_3.png

If I want the students to share a document with me that I can then open and let them continue working on it without having to submit multiple times, here is how I do that. 

• The instructor will need to make the assignment submission type be "online" with an online entry option of "website URL".
  • From within Google Docs, the student will need to click the share button and get a shareable link that anyone with the link "can view." This link is what the student turns in to Canvas when they submit their assignment. Depending on how much access you want, you can ask them to make the sharing be "can comment" or "can edit."

The second approach has always worked for me and I used it extensively when I first started using Google Docs with Canvas. Over time, I have moved away from it for most assignments and force the students to actually turn something in. I now want a want a static assignment, that they cannot edit after they turn it in, and that I can comment on with DocViewer. The website URL method doesn't give me those.