cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Sharing Assessments with Colleagues

Jump to solution

I created an assessment in Gauge, but I don't see a way to share that assessment with the other teachers in my building who want to use the assessment. 

I want to know the following:

1. Can I share the assessment that I made in Gauge (and yes, I am certain that I made it in Gauge) with my colleagues? If so, how? If not, why?

2. If I can't, can I move the questions over from the Gauge assessment into a quiz that I know I can push to the Commons and share out? If so, how? If not, why?

As a follow-up, why isn't there just a simple button that says, "share with colleagues," as there is on many other sites? Please consider adding this functionality, as many teachers are tasked with giving common assessments and are also tasked with using Canvas in order to do it. 

Thank you,

Sarah Donahoe

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi shunter2@vikings.sjrstate.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community! Thanks for stopping by and asking your question. 

I've reached out to our Internal Gauge Guru's and have some info regarding your question. 

Can I share the assessment that I made in Gauge (and yes, I am certain that I made it in Gauge) with my colleagues? If so, how? If not, why?

- Currently you cannot share a Gauge Assessment like you would be able to export and share a course within Canvas. The ability for more universally available data (such as sharing item banks) is on our roadmap. Are you wanting to share this Gauge assessment with other teachers at your same institution to use the assignment in Gauge and deploy to their own classes? 

Here is a viable work around. 

-Create the Assessment in Canvas using the Original Quizzing Engine (Not Quizzes.Next for now. The ability to export Quizzes.Next quizzes is coming) and ensure that course is available on a root account where all teachers can access it. Then, have the teacher export the Quiz they want to put in Gauge (by using this guide > How do I export quiz content from a course? ) and then import into Gauge (using this guide > https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12231-71669785107 ) 

This may answer both your questions above. If you choose to use Commons instead of a globally available course in Canvas, I believe same context applies. Have the teacher import the course from commons (That contains the quiz you'd like to have in Gauge) then export only the quiz (It will show up in a QTI formatted download) then import into Gauge. 

The roadmap for Gauge is always being worked on and developed (Just like Canvas! I don't think our Developers ever sleep!) If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply back! 

Thanks so much!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi shunter2@vikings.sjrstate.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community! Thanks for stopping by and asking your question. 

I've reached out to our Internal Gauge Guru's and have some info regarding your question. 

Can I share the assessment that I made in Gauge (and yes, I am certain that I made it in Gauge) with my colleagues? If so, how? If not, why?

- Currently you cannot share a Gauge Assessment like you would be able to export and share a course within Canvas. The ability for more universally available data (such as sharing item banks) is on our roadmap. Are you wanting to share this Gauge assessment with other teachers at your same institution to use the assignment in Gauge and deploy to their own classes? 

Here is a viable work around. 

-Create the Assessment in Canvas using the Original Quizzing Engine (Not Quizzes.Next for now. The ability to export Quizzes.Next quizzes is coming) and ensure that course is available on a root account where all teachers can access it. Then, have the teacher export the Quiz they want to put in Gauge (by using this guide > How do I export quiz content from a course? ) and then import into Gauge (using this guide > https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12231-71669785107 ) 

This may answer both your questions above. If you choose to use Commons instead of a globally available course in Canvas, I believe same context applies. Have the teacher import the course from commons (That contains the quiz you'd like to have in Gauge) then export only the quiz (It will show up in a QTI formatted download) then import into Gauge. 

The roadmap for Gauge is always being worked on and developed (Just like Canvas! I don't think our Developers ever sleep!) If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply back! 

Thanks so much!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for the workaround. 

Does that mean that I need to entirely re-create the assessment in Quizzes? 

Thanks,

Sarah D       

Highlighted

And then what is the advantage of using Gauge over just using the quiz that I've created?   

Highlighted

Heya shunter2@vikings.sjrstate.edu

Currently, yes. You would need to re-create in the old quizzing engine.

Something else to consider in this situation, are you an Admin in Gauge? Or a Teacher Role? Another work around could be simply creating the assessment in Gauge (as an administrator) and then creating a separate deployment for each group of students you'd like to have take it. (that would mean each teachers class, if this is a class specific deployment). Might be easier? Only downside here is currently I don't believe the teacher would have access to the data of that assessment since it would be on a district, not classroom, level. 

Highlighted

My role is just a teacher.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:50 PM, rconroy@instructure.com <

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

shunter2@vikings.sjrstate.edu, the advantage of Gauge is being able to have actionable data that allows students to see what competencies they're aligned to, need to work more on and for teachers and administrators to see the unique reporting to Gauge that will help inform how they change instruction. Gauge being used on a District wide basis gives a great overview of the entire districts needs both in benchmark and common assessment. 

On a teacher by teacher basis, Gauge helps inform teachers on those competencies that are aligned to your outcomes in Canvas. The reporting is invaluable. Canvas quizzes are super important! But used differently. Does that make sense?

Highlighted

It does, yes. I'm trying to enter a pretest that we had previously

delivered as a Google Form. I went to all of the effort of adding it to

Gauge so that our entire grade level team of teachers could give it in

Canvas, and what I'm understanding is that I've essentially wasted my time.

Learning curves!

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:55 PM, rconroy@instructure.com <

Highlighted

Oh gosh! I'm so sorry! You definitely didn't waste your time. You've learned the system better and now have the opportunity to give that assessment to your students and see how they're doing in outcomes. So that's a plus! 

Definitely would suggest putting that in the locally available course somewhere and allow them to import it into the courses where they see fit, or deploy on an administrator level in Gauge if you want that mastery reporting. 

Best of luck with the new school year!