cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Sharing One Page Across Multiple Courses

I am looking for a way to use a single Canvas page across Canvas courses.  I am looking for something different from using Commons or embedding a Google Doc.  Importing and updating a page stored in Commons does not update the page across courses, and I not convinced that embedding a longer Google document is best for student ease of use.

Example: Can a Canvas page with generic/universal course guidelines and expectations be created once, and then pulled into a number of unique courses? 

Thank you.

Robert

12 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

rcartelli@coloradomtn.edu‌,

This sounds like you may want to use a BluePrint course.  It could act as a template that would be pushed out to multiple courses showing the same content. 

Regards,

Jason Schaffer

Highlighted

Jason -

Thank you for the suggestion. I have dabbled in BluePrint (BP) courses,

but have never actually put BP courses to good use.

This universal page is constantly updated throughout the semester. As the

universal page is updated in the BluePrint/template course, do students

automatically see those updates across all courses using that page?

Updating an embedded Google document covers all of my sharing, updating,

and student access needs except the usability/visual presentation to the

students.

Robert

Highlighted

rcartelli@coloradomtn.edu‌,

We have yet to deploy BP on our end too, but I believe all you would need to do is 'sync' the parent to the child course and the updates would take place.  However, the one caveat to this is if one of your instructors/users, updates the page on their own, the sync for that course will not work.  While there would be an exception log for those courses that failed to sync, you would nonetheless have to update this manually, or send the instructor the code to update on their own. 

Jason

Highlighted

Jason - 

It sounds like your sync suggestion is worth a try.  I am on the road for another week or so.  I will experiment when I get back to the office and post findings here.

Thanks again...

Robert

Highlighted

Good luck.

Highlighted

Jason - 

My guess is that being able to add a new page at the instructor account level and then, while in a course, being able to add that page to the course would do the trick?

Robert

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rcartelli@coloradomtn.edu...

You could potentially have a separate Canvas course shell where the entire shell's visibility is set as "Public" (so that you don't have to enroll any students in it).  Then, you could create a page with your content and then use iframe embed code to paste into the HTML side of all your courses that want to use that page.  However, I *think* (though I have not tested this myself) that it might display an additional set of Canvas navigation button inside of those pages...which 1) wouldn't look very nice/good, and 2) would be a bit confusing for students to navigate.  That's why using something like Google Docs or even Office 365 (if your school utilizes that) is maybe the better option.  Check out this blog entry from stefaniesanders‌ called Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content which is in the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers group here in the Canvas Community.  If you are not following this group, use the link to the group that I provided, and then click on the "Follow" button on the top right corner of the screen.  You may also need to click on the "Actions" menu and then choose "Join group", too.  I hope this helps, Robert.

Highlighted

Chris - 

Thank you for the suggestions. 

The Instructional Designers group posts give me some fresh twists for using Google documents.

I am on the road for another week or so.  I will experiment when I get back to the office and post findings here.

Thanks again...

Robert

Highlighted

Chris - 

I did some quick testing with Stefanie's embed coding suggestion:

<iframe src="SHARE LINK URL GOES HERE" width="100%" height="600"></iframe>

For the moment, this code seems to work best for Pages, and I will go this route and continue to experiment with my upcoming summer courses  

I cannot get content to display as neatly in Assignments.  I am guessing that the inclusion Speed Grader in the Assignments view has something to do with the different presentation.  It will be interesting to see how this works across devices.

Thanks again.

Onward...

Robert