Highlighted
Community Member

Sharing a rubric

Jump to solution

I have a team of teachers at one of our middle schools that would like to create a rubric they can share for a common assessment.  What is the easiest way for them to do this?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

kbeimfohr​ - what we do right now for this is create a course for all rubrics, handouts, materials that need to be shared and give all the teachers instructor level access to the course - that way they can copy things over anywhere they want. They can also add content to share as well.

In the future, hopefully coming really soon, Canvas will be releasing Canvas Commons​ - a learning object repository. This will allow teachers to easily share their content between each other, an institution, or even the Canvas community (teachers will set the permissions on who things are shared with).

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

kbeimfohr​, I'm not sure if this completely addresses your question, but could the rubric be created at the Account level?  Then, once it's been created for the team, each teacher could then use the "Find a Rubric" option when creating an Assignment in their individual courses.  It's not really "sharing" a single rubric, but at least they are all using the same rubric that was created at the Account level.

Highlighted
Community Member

I thought about this, but then was concerned that over time every team or group of teachers that wanted to create a rubric to share with a partner would ask to add it at the account level.  I thought it may get very cluttered over time.  I think we may keep that for district/grade level common rubrics and not just rubrics teachers create for projects, etc.  Thoughts?

Highlighted
Navigator

That may be true.  We really don't use rubrics much at the Account level at our Technical College yet (this is only our second full semester of using Canvas).  Maybe kona@richland.edu​' suggestion of creating a course for all rubrics might be the way to go?

Highlighted
Community Member

Is there a way to place a rubric at account level without creating from scratch?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

kbeimfohr​ - what we do right now for this is create a course for all rubrics, handouts, materials that need to be shared and give all the teachers instructor level access to the course - that way they can copy things over anywhere they want. They can also add content to share as well.

In the future, hopefully coming really soon, Canvas will be releasing Canvas Commons​ - a learning object repository. This will allow teachers to easily share their content between each other, an institution, or even the Canvas community (teachers will set the permissions on who things are shared with).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Our district currently has access to Canvas Commons, but I don't think you can share just rubrics.

Highlighted
Surveyor

We have Commons as well, but I hadn't tried to share just a rubric. I just did some checking and you are correct, you can't share just rubrics.

See the ​ feature request for more information, but it looks like for now my suggestion about creating a course for the rubrics and only sharing it with the teachers that need it might be the best solution.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Kyle,

Our solution is similar to what kona@richland.edu​ shared, but we do not make the shared courses for the teachers. Any teacher can make a new course but usually it's a department lead or subject area facilitator that will make a new course and then invite all the teachers they wish to collaborate/share with to the course as a TA role (why TA? That way they can not inadvertently delete the course).

So in the "shell course" the teachers can all build content and then copy it over to their own courses at will.

See:

1. How do I create a new course shell?
  2. How do I copy a Canvas course?
Highlighted
Navigator II

kbeimfohr​, the Canvas Rubric Gallery is a repository of rubrics contributed by Canvas users. A teacher wishing to become a "Rubrics Curator" applies by filling out a form, and is then added to the shell as a teacher; this gives the user teacher privileges in the course and allows him or her to export and import at will. The Rubrics Gallery might find a future in Canvas Commons, and might provide you with a solution, so please stay tuned for updates.

Labels