cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevans
Community Member

Sharing/viewing Conferences recorded by student groups

Jump to solution

If student groups record Conferences as their final "presentation," is it possible for those to be shared for the rest of the class to view? We have an online course where the students are required to put together a group presentation and record it with the Conference tool.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Karen:

Great idea, having Groups using the Conference tool in Canvas.

As far as I know, when a conference is recorded in a Canvas classroom, all students already have access to the recording regardless of whether or not they actually attended the conference, but when a conference is created by a student group students in other groups would not see the conference to know they could view it.

I think the easiest solution for this would be to have the instructor (who can view the conferences created by groups) to publish the recording links for the students in other groups. I think a creative use of this might be to create a discussion available to all students, publish the links to the group conferences, then ask students to review the recorded conferences and answer some specific questions or reply to specific groups in some meaningful way. Would seem to be a great learning strategy to me.

Let me know what you think.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kevans
Community Member

I am new to the Conference tool and also to asking questions here. Am just wondering if the way we are going about this is the wrong way. Does anyone think that the instructor should guide the Student Groups to invite Everyone in the class to their conference when they create it, but then to only "attend" the Conference for their Group? That way I guess Everyone would be able to view the recorded Conferences of the other Groups. I'm just looking for a quick solution and have a lot to learn about Student Groups and whether or not they can produce something to later be shared with Everyone in the class. Thank you to anyone that offers me any insight or suggestions!

Hi Karen:

Great idea, having Groups using the Conference tool in Canvas.

As far as I know, when a conference is recorded in a Canvas classroom, all students already have access to the recording regardless of whether or not they actually attended the conference, but when a conference is created by a student group students in other groups would not see the conference to know they could view it.

I think the easiest solution for this would be to have the instructor (who can view the conferences created by groups) to publish the recording links for the students in other groups. I think a creative use of this might be to create a discussion available to all students, publish the links to the group conferences, then ask students to review the recorded conferences and answer some specific questions or reply to specific groups in some meaningful way. Would seem to be a great learning strategy to me.

Let me know what you think.

View solution in original post

kevans
Community Member

Hi Kelley,

Thank you for clarifying the limitations of viewing Recorded Conferences by Student Groups. Your discussion idea with the links to the published recordings is a great approach and will also allow the instructor to manage the flow of activity. I think she'll like that. That's creative- thanks very much!

As the instructor how would I go about acquiring the link to share for said conferences? I don't see that as an option.