cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Showing final grades to students

Hi Everyone,

I apologize if I have missed a discussion about this, or if I have overlooked an explanation about this in the instructor guide.

We survived our first semester of using Canvas!  I learned a lot and will definitely make changes in the spring, and I appreciate how helpful this community has been when we have had questions.  Thank you. 

At the end of our semester, we could easily see student grades appear in our grade book.  We used the Settings function to upload a particular grading scheme, and that worked well.  However, I received many email messages from students about what their final grade was going to end up being.  From what I could tell, the students were only seeing their final percentages in the course and NOT the grades associated with those percentages.  As I'm sure you can imagine, most of the messages I was getting were along the lines of "I am half a percentage point away from an A, will I be bumped up?," or "Am I getting a C+ or a B-?," etc.   I feel we can cut down on those messages if we have a way of displaying the final course grade for students, but I'm not sure if that is an option.  If it is, how do I do that?  Is there a setting I need to check?

Hopefully what I'm asking makes sense.

Thank you as always for your help!

Michelle

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi everson.50@osu.edu​ - That's odd, because if you enabled a grading scheme for your course (such as what is outlined here: How do I enable a grading scheme for a course?)--and it certainly sounds like you did--your students should be seeing the corresponding letter grade.  It's possible (since they're new to Canvas, too) that they don't know where to look; admittedly, it's not an "in your face" location, as it's in the upper-right corner of the screen, as shown in the screen capture in the Student Guide here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1291 

A couple of thoughts:

• Give your "test student" some scores and then head into Student View and check what you see.  This way, you can maybe supply a screen capture telling students where to look in addition to the link above in the Student Guide.
  • A somewhat overlooked ability is you can get a pretty good idea of what the student should be seeing themselves by heading to Grades and clicking directly on a student's name, as documented here:  How do I use the Gradebook?

I hope this helps a bit!  'Tis the season to be getting emails about grades!

Highlighted

Thank you so much, Ken.  I think you have hit the nail on the head.  Since Canvas is new to students as well, I bet some of them have not been looking in the right place (and I was likely not doing so either when I attempted to look at things through the Student view).  I will definitely make sure to share this information with future classes! 

I assume that most students probably did see the grade information since I teach a class with well over 1000 total students, and I only got email messages from about 20 total students about this issue.  Still, anything that leads to less email questions during a very busy and stressful time is always much appreciated.  Smiley Happy 

Again, thank you for the quick response and the helpful information.  

Highlighted

Happy to help, Michelle!  Glad you are in the Canvas Community with us!