Highlighted
Community Member

Shuffle questions?

Jump to solution

Is there not a way to shuffle the order of the questions on a quiz?  I see you can shuffle answer choices, but not questions.  Am I missing something?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator II

Yes, glenn.phoenix@clover.k12.sc.us, you can shuffle the order of the questions on a quiz by putting the questions in a question group. Follow the instructions at these lessons in the Canvas Guides to create question groups in your quizzes and drag-and-drop the questions into the question group to randomize the order in which they will be presented to students (or pull them from a Question Bank): How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group to randomize quiz questions?​ and How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group linked to a Question Bank?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator II

Yes, glenn.phoenix@clover.k12.sc.us, you can shuffle the order of the questions on a quiz by putting the questions in a question group. Follow the instructions at these lessons in the Canvas Guides to create question groups in your quizzes and drag-and-drop the questions into the question group to randomize the order in which they will be presented to students (or pull them from a Question Bank): How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group to randomize quiz questions?​ and How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group linked to a Question Bank?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Ahhh, very good. Thank you. Do you know if the group titles show up on the test, when you create question groups?

Sent from my iPhone

Highlighted
Navigator II

They do not.

Highlighted
Community Member

Is there any way to do this without having to create a new question group for each quiz?

Highlighted
Navigator II

cmeagher@ccsf.edu​, dragging questions into a question group within the quiz is currently the only way to shuffle questions. I hope you're not conflating question groups with question banks.

Highlighted
Community Member

I am doing the drag/drop thing right now to put them in a question group.

To be clear

1) I would like all students to have all the same questions.

2) However I would like them all to have them appear in a different/random order.

The way this was handled in Moodle was, when creating a Quiz, you could just click "shuffle questions" along with "shuffle answers."

Highlighted
Surveyor

As long as the questions are in a question group they are automatically shuffled; there is no button or something to click to make this happen, it happens as a result of being in a question group.

Highlighted
Community Member

It seems to me from all the chats here and on numerous schools' forums that question banks are strongly encouraged. Best practice seems to be to create lots of question banks collecting similar items within the question bank to facilitate randomized selection of individual questions thereby increasing security. The question banks also manage item analysis over sections, right?

I have not been able to shuffle questions the way I'd prefer. Questions only shuffle within a question group, but not across question groups within a quiz.

So, creating a quiz with several question groups linked to question banks results in questions only presenting in the order that the groups were entered on the quiz, right? 

Is shuffling the order of questions across question groups within a quiz under consideration for development?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator II

km3141@columbia.edu‌, you are correct in your assessment of how question groups in a quiz currently behave. The new quiz engine that's under development will transform how quizzes are constructed and presented, so please follow Priority: Quizzes.Next‌ to keep on top of what's going on with the project.

Labels