cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hola,

Is there a sign up sheet function?  For example, if we are doing research, and only so many students can have the same topic.  Students will need to sign up in a first come first serve basis.  Is there a way to create a sign up sheet so students can see the tasks/topics and the available spots?

Example:

France (1 spot available, 2 spots taken)

Italy   (2 spots available, 1 spot taken)

Morocco (1 spot available, 2 spots taken)

Spain (3 spots available, 0 spots taken

Gracias.

Tags (2)
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello 000030047.  This is a good question and a topic that has come up several times.  I thought I would bring your attention to one of these threads, How to create a signup sheet for students to pick a topic?.  There was a very robust discussion about ways to create a signup sheet . . . some using Canvas directly and others with different technology.  I thought you may be interested in reading some of these ideas.

Best wishes! 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, 000030047...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on March 21, 2018.  It looks like ericwerth had responded to your question that evening.  Have you had an opportunity to review Eric's response and the link that he provided?  If so, did Eric's response help to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button at the top right corner of his response.  However, if you are still looking for some help with your question, please come back to this thread to give us an update so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Telece.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hola,

I am still looking for a solution to my original question.  I have read over all the previous suggestions from the provided link.  I am looking for something within Canvas, rather than a Google Doc/Form, etc. It would be great if Canvas allowed groups of one or something like I originally mentioned.  Currently teachers have to go back and remove additional students manually.  As always, I am open to more suggestions. 

Gracias.

Highlighted
Community Member

Couldn't you create groups for the assignment with set numbers of students and allow them to self-select which group they are in? You can name the groups individually to match the topic of choice.

I realize this is an old question, but this is what I've done in the past. 

I was searching for an answer with regards to creating time slot sign-ups and saw your question  (which I think can be done with the canvas calendar in an exceedingly tedious manner).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I've thought about this. The problem is that Canvas doesn't allow for groups of 1, so this would only be a feasible workaround if you were having students work on group projects.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi llancaster3@valenciacollege.edu  Canvas will allow you to create groups with only one student in them.  It is most commonly used for assignments such as journals where groups are created with one student and assigned a discussion question they reply to multiple times over the semester (see ), but it could be used for other things as well.  Have you tried to create groups with one individual and ran into issue?  It would be interesting to figure out why this may happen.

All the best!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels