cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I think this might be a very basic question: I've recently signed up for a Canvas account and as I started to work on my course, I found that I did not have admin access to my account (when I signed up, Canvas asked me to choose between an instructor and a student's role and I chose instructor). Without admin access, I cannot configure things like sub-accounts and LTI integration at the account level.

Could anyone tell me how to upgrade to admin or if I can sign up for an admin account in Canvas?

Much appreciated.

Bowen

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

b.yang@latrobe.edu.au​, from your description, it sounds like you are using a Free For Teachers account, because you were given the option to choose between an instructor and a student role. Free For Teachers accounts do not provide administrative access. You can read more about the differences between Paid and Free For Teachers in Canvas Account Comparisons.

If you'd like to try out a full version of Canvas, Instructure offers a fully-featured two-week trial. Navigate to this page--Try Canvas | Free LMS Trial | Canvas Learning Management System -- and click on the Try It button. The trial version will allow you to check out the admin features of Canvas. (If you select the Build It button, you will once again be prompted to open a Free For Teachers account.) To learn about pricing and request an upgrade to a full version of Canvas, including Admin capabilities, click on the Request Info button at the bottom of that screen.

Highlighted

My question is virtually similar. I do like what I have access to so far with the free account. HOWEVER, some of the aformentioned features (LTI, new gradebook, etc) that can only be accessed by Admin level accounts would be nice to use. It will be at least another 2 years before my school will be ready to consider looking into a new system like this, so I am curious as to whether or not I can upgrade to an admin account to access those items with my free course account? 

Highlighted

Hi Kehly,

Welcome to the community!  If I'm not mistaken, all of what Stefanie posted two years ago is still accurate.

Thank you.

Highlighted

I had the same question as b.yang@latrobe.edu.au‌. But I also want to clarify if I can be an admin for free or not.

Highlighted

26jwest@go.dsdmail.net, the answer provided here is up to date, and Free for Teachers accounts do not include an admin role.

Highlighted

agree

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

b.yang@latrobe.edu.au​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

Highlighted
Surveyor

With a Free for Teachers account, we cannot have admin abilities to do LTI integration. I am trying to test out the LTI integration and see how it looks. I'd love access to the Instructure offer of a fully-featured two-week trial. I've done what Stefanie kindly described. How long does it usually take to get access?