cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Some quiz scores replaced with zero after using "set default grade"

This one has me and my coworkers thoroughly stumped. I'd like to withhold some of my troubleshooting so I don't bias or misdirect anyone, because what I've done clearly hasn't resolved the issue.

The basic problem is that at 5:44 am this morning, an instructor gave a score of 0 to students that had not taken his midterm. Multiple students received a score of 0 simultaneously, which helps confirm his explanation that he used the "Set Default Grade" function to do this.

However, 6 students that had taken the midterm and received a grade ended up receiving a 0 as well, and I can't figure out how. The grade book history shows these students having an actual score up until this morning, when their grades switched to zeroes. The instructor manually put their grades back. Any thoughts/steps?

Steps/Ideas

• There are students in the class who did not have their scores replaced with zeroes, ruling out that the instructor used the "overwrite grades" option for "Set Default Grade."
4 Replies
Community Team
Community Team

jonesn16@nku.edu‌, no doubt you've already ruled this out in your troubleshooting, but just to be sure: is it possible that the instructor inadvertently enabled the "Overwrite already-entered grades" checkbox when he was entering the default grade?

307878_default grade.png

Highlighted

Absolutely valid question. Only 6 out of the 30+ students had a zero replace their original score, so I think we can rule out overwriting already entered grades. I'll update my question to reflect this.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello jonesn16@nku.edu...

I'm reviewing older questions here in the Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since your reply to stefaniesanders‌ on March 7, 2019.  Have you been able to find a solution to your original question?  If so, would you be willing to share what you've found?  Or, are you still looking for some help from Community members?  Either way, could you please provide an update for us?  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over six months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Nicholas.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Highlighted

I'm still not sure what happened, but the instructor moved on, so it can stay "Assumed Answered."