cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Sort Student Assignments by Submission Date

Jump to solution

Is there a way to sort student assignments so that they are graded by submission date rather than alphabetically?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi mark.crane@uvu.edu...

Give this a try...  Go to the SpeedGrader for an assignment that you want to grade.  In the upper left corner of the SpeedGrader, there are a few icons...one of which looks like an outline of a gear/cog wheel.  Click on that icon and then a small window will open.  From the drop-down list, select "the date they submitted the assignment", and then click "Save Settings".  Would this work for your needs?

Also, I wanted to mention that I am going to re-name the subject line of your message to something a bit more descriptive (rather than having the letter "I").  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you're asking in the body of your message, just let me know, and we can make any necessary changes.  Giving your subject line a title will help others search for your question easier.

Thanks Mark...

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi mark.crane@uvu.edu...

Give this a try...  Go to the SpeedGrader for an assignment that you want to grade.  In the upper left corner of the SpeedGrader, there are a few icons...one of which looks like an outline of a gear/cog wheel.  Click on that icon and then a small window will open.  From the drop-down list, select "the date they submitted the assignment", and then click "Save Settings".  Would this work for your needs?

Also, I wanted to mention that I am going to re-name the subject line of your message to something a bit more descriptive (rather than having the letter "I").  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you're asking in the body of your message, just let me know, and we can make any necessary changes.  Giving your subject line a title will help others search for your question easier.

Thanks Mark...

View solution in original post

Surveyor

Hi mark.crane@uvu.edu‌,

It is possible to sort the assignments in the SpeedGrader bu Submission Date.

This guide explains the process: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10444-415255026 

Alex

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello mark.crane@uvu.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you once again.  It looks like akkaufmann and I have given you some feedback here, but I'm curious to know if you've had an opportunity to review our responses yet.  If so, did either of our responses help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions yet as it relates to your initial question?  If you feel that one of our replies is "Correct", please go ahead and mark it as such.  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that members of the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Mark.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Hi Chris,

Can i take Mark Crane's questions one step further and ask if there is a way to sort student assignments so that they are graded by submission date at the Course level, rather than the specific assignment level, so that an Instructor/Assessor can work their way through assessments submissions by date across all assignments within the course (as opposed to having to drill down to individual assessments through the speedgrader)?

I hope this make sense.

Cheers

Joel

j.ronchi@integrity.edu.au, in response to your question, no, there isn’t a way to grade all assignments at once by when they were submitted. Speedgrader is by assignment and the To Do list is also by assignment. 

Kona, I've also been trying to work with email notifications to prioritize grading across multiple assignments in a course as suggested by Damian von. It looks to me like the only time I get a notification is if there is a submission comment. I don't seem to get notifications if there is a submission without a comment. Am I missing something?

ddumonde@tulane.edu 

What are your "All Submissions" Notification set to under Account > Notifications?

350871_pastedImage_1.png

That was it, James! I hadn't noticed the two settings for submissions and submission comments. Thanks!

Hi

This is completely unacceptable by Canvas, but a work around we are using is setting up a Rule in our institute's email. When a notification comes in from Canvas email notifications, we have it going into Canvas notifications folder. We then set it with oldest at the top. Completely crap, but hey, what else can you do. Makes webCT look ahead of its time.