cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david_gilde
Community Member

Sorting students in SpeedGrader by section

I'm a middle school teacher who has been using Canvas regularly and beginning my third year with it.  Last year I was able to sort my student submissions in SpeedGrader by section which was very handy.

However, this year when I attempt to show only student submissions from a particular section, the page reloads but it still shows every submission from all classes.  See below.  Thanks in advance for your help.291349_Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 11.10.10 AM.png

Tags (1)
7 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @david_gilde .  This is interesting.  I tried in a sandbox course that I have with a couple of sections and it appears that when I use the menu you pictured above, it does filter the submissions by my class sections.  What web browser are you using?  I just tested on Chrome so am wondering if you try with Chrome as well if your results will be any different.  It might be worth checking as sometimes the browser seems to make a difference!

Hi Eric.  Thanks for the quick get-back.  I've tried both Chrome and Firefox on my MacBook Pro OS X 10.12.6.  I agree that it's strange and, like I said, it worked like a charm during the last school year. 

Recommendations on where I should go from here?

Hi  @david_gilde .  I would probably submit a ticket with Canvas Support so they can look into the issue further.  They may have received other reports of this, so could tell you if it is a known issue being worked on.  I'm on a PC so I guess it is possible that it is an OS issue.  It will also be interesting to see if anyone else responds in this thread, either experiencing a similar issue or with thoughts on how it might be resolved.

I'll keep a lookout for other reports and let you know if I find anything.  If you do get a response from Support, please let us know!

Thanks, Eric.  I'll submit a ticket.

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @david_gilde ‌ -

Were you able to find a solution to your gradebook sorting issue?

...by chance, were you using the New Gradebook at the time? I had a few colleagues experience this, and after we added the sortable field for sections in the Gradebook, the feature worked as designed in Speedgrader. I'm curious to learn if that is what happened in your case as well.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @david_gilde ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  Like  @klundstrum , I too, would like to check in with you.  Have you had a chance to submit a ticket to Canvas Support?  Were you able to find a solution?  If so, would you be willing to share your findings with us here in the Community?  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, David.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I've seen this happen when you've selected a View filter in the Gradebook -- it seems to affect the Speedgrader.

Go back to Gradebook to view all sections, and I think this fixes it in Speedgrader.