cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Space bar issue

Jump to solution

Quite recently I have been having an issue of using the space bar.  Sometimes it simply does not work in Canvas.

Then, I will backspace and delete what I wrote and it starts working again...but could just as easily stop.

This is not a problem with my keyboard (as you can see) and rebooting did not solve the problem.  

It is a frustrating bug because the issue is intermittent.  

I am using Chrome, so the issue may deal with the interaction between the browser and Canvas. 

Thanks,

FC

70 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

This happened to me again (not on text I copied and pasted, btw) and I clicked to the HTML editor to see what was up with the code. Nothing looked wrong. When I clicked back to the Rich Text Editor, it was fixed. Elsewhere on the same page, the space bar worked again, and I was able to fix it again the same way.

So, a workaround may be to click on the HTML editor and click back. Took about a second. It still shouldn't be happening, but it's faster than trying to convince support that there's an actual problem with Canvas.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give that a try the next time it happens. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Here's video of it happening to me, just today. 

https://youtu.be/GSXbC7S9uVA

0 Kudos
Highlighted

jsward@clark.edu 

You video agrees with the diagnosis that I had earlier. I'm not saying this is the only place it happens, just that I have consistently been able to make it in the example you show.

Here's what I'm seeing:

If you have a nested list, then you are no longer able to hit space at the end of the item once you create the nested list. You are able to use the space at the end of the a secondary level in the list.

In your video, you saved it, but then went back to a different spot to start typing. The problem still exists, even after saving. You cannot type at the end of a list item that has a list nested within it.

In the following, the space bar works at the end of every line except for List level 1b, which is the first line numbered 2.

325695_pastedImage_2.png

Here's what the HTML looks like. Note that the second ordered list (ol) element is part of the list item (li) element for List level 1b. I suspect it's trying to say "You don't need a space before an <ol> and so I'm going to take it out. Canvas used to put non-breaking spaces in all over the place, which was bad form. Now they won't allow you to put a space at all.

<ol>
<li>List level 1a</li>
<li>List level 1b
<ol>
<li>List level 2a</li>
<li>List level 2b</li>
</ol>
</li>
</ol>

While you're waiting on Canvas, here's what I do instead of going back and hitting spaces between all of the characters.

Type a period where it won't allow you to enter spaces (say at the end of list level 1b). Then left arrow so that the cursor is before the period. Now type and it will allow you to enter spaces. You can delete the period if needed once you're done.

What you really need to do is file a help ticket. This is a bug. Posts in the Community aren't entered into the bug tracking system, nor will it automatically bring more attention to the issue.

People being able to document the issue and exactly when it is happening in a help ticket has a better chance of getting it fixed. If people claim it's a mystery, then it appears to be more of an isolated situation. This is predictable and repeatable -- and buggy.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for the reply, James! 

I have reported the bug to Canvas. They keep telling me the issue is solved and try to close the ticket but I keep telling them the issue isn't resolved, we just don't have all the data. I've sent my video to the support people on my existing ticket and posted the video here for good measure. Recording the error was the suggestion of the support people, and it may also help others who think they have the same issue. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jennifer, I had the same experience with support. I told them there was a problem with Canvas, they said it was a problem with my clipboard. stefaniesanders‌, is there anything you can do as community manager, since we're trying to go through the correct channels to bring attention to this bug but keep getting rebuffed by Tier 1 support? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

venitk@uwec.edu, please post the case number here so we can look into it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

stefaniesanders,

We also have a case open on this: 04763608.  Support has reported to use that this issue has not been reported:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. I have not seen reports of this specific behaviors. Please provide us with more information to be able to look into this further for you. "

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks Stefanie. 04556707. I confused the poor support tech because I wasn't really taking good notes about what happened with the bug. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

well this just started happening to me as well, with Chrome. Going to try the in-out of rich text method. Wow this is frustrating Smiley Sad 

quick update.. for me I think this is related to copy and paste, actually it happened when I copy/pasted from another canvas course site page.

What I did was to copy all the text out of the discussion I was writing (where the spacebar wasn't working) into a word doc. I then removed the formatting and copied it back. After that I didn't have the spacebar issue.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels