cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Spanish Accent Marks?

I am a Spanish teacher.  I am finding that my students cannot add the accents to the vowels by using accent codes that would work in programs such as word, excel...  What is the quickest way for them to add the accent codes?

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello magda_reid@catawbaschools.net​...

Assuming that your students are typing in text for either Discussion postings or as part of their assignment(s) in Canvas, if your students are using PCs, they should be able to run the "Character Map" program that is included with the Windows operating system.  You can click on the Windows button at the bottom left corner of your screen and then type in charmap.  Then, it's just a matter of finding the correct letter with accent, copying it, and then pasting it into the text editor.

If your students have smart phones, on their screen's keyboard, you could hold down on a certain letter (let's use "a" as an example), and then you'd get some additional options for accents for that character.  At least, that's how it works on iPhone/iPads.

Hope this helps!!!

Highlighted
Learner II

Hi magda_reid@catawbaschools.net​,

Typically your students on PCs could use the "ALT codes" or enable the International Keyboard to use shortcuts.  On the Mac, I don't remember enabling a keyboard so I think the shortcuts just work.  So if you haven't tried these options yet, below is one guide that seems to cover the basics and is working for me in Canvas.

Spanish Accent Codes

- Melanie

Highlighted
Community Member

On a Mac or PC, the best way to do it is the same way that people who *always* type in Spanish do it: use a Spanish keyboard. If I am typing something quickly, there is NO WAY that I want to type in a code every third word. That would be as terrible as you having to do it for every letter E!

On a Mac, it's in the system preferences; if I remember correctly, that's where it is on a PC, too. If you enable the keyboard, it's as quick as typing in English, and you can use it on any platform. Surprisingly, switching *between* languages is quicker on a PC, so they can go back and forth between languages (I used to do 3-4 languages at a sitting).

Who needs shortcuts?

Highlighted

cwendt@plymouth.k12.in.us​, I was surprised at how easy this is to do on a PC. Once I got it set up, I saw a little notation on my taskbar that tells me I'm using the EN keyboard; simply by clicking it, I can switch to ES. If I'm going to do a lot of switching, I can opt to "Show the language bar" and the bar pins itself at the top of the screen for quick toggling between keyboard languages.

Highlighted

Exactly, stefaniesanders​. Over break at some point, I am going to put a tutorial on there. I used to type in several languages in the same setting, and I have no patience for codes, holding down keys, etc. With the keyboard, you can type as fast in one language as you can in another—if you are typing a lot, speed matters.

Highlighted
Community Member

and as you mentioned, toggling is a godsend. Macs don't have that.  Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Member

También, magda_reid@catawbaschools.net​ - ¡únete a nuestro grupo!  Español

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

magda_reid@catawbaschools.net​  I use a Mac and have found the easiest way for me is to simply hold down the letter key for 2 seconds until a small pop up window appears with the accent options. 

Here is what it will look like

2015-11-20_1131.png

Highlighted
Community Member

magda_reid@catawbaschools.net​, are your students using Macs or PCs?

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels