SpeedGrader auto-selects group for a non-group discussion assignment

Jump to solution
george_rowe
Community Member

I am experiencing a strange behavior with the SpeedGrader. I have a discussion assignment that is NOT a group assignment. However, when I go to the SpeedGrader from the assignment, I get the following message:

The group "[group name]" was automatically selected because no group was previously chosen. You can change the selected group in the Gradebook."

This only allows me to use the SpeedGrader for a limited number of students in the group that was auto-selected by Canvas. However, this is NOT a group assignment, so it shouldn't do this. Also, I haven't found a way to select a group (or unselect groups) from within the Gradebook as the notification suggests I can.

I'm lost where to turn here to fix this. Of course, I can still grade all the students manually, but I need to fix this bug for future assignments. Does anyone know why this is happening or how I might be able to fix it?

Error message_ "The group [group name] was automatically selected because no group was previously chosen. You can change the selected group in the Gradebook."

2 Solutions
kona
Community Champion

@george_rowe , I've never heard of being able to change this from the gradebook. From your original screenshot, it looks like one group was already created. I'd try going to People --> Groups and look for that group name, "Team Project 1." If you find it, then try adding all students to this group and see if it helps. If not, then Canvas Support is your best bet for getting this figured out. 

Kona

View solution in original post

Hsulaoshi
Community Member

I just encountered the same problem.  And I finally figured out how to fix it.  The way to fix it is to change the setting by deselecting " Launch SpeedGrader Filtered by Student Group" .

View solution in original post