cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
remerick
Community Member

Speedgrader 2.0 and Grading One Question for Multiple Students

Jump to solution

Many of us would like to be able to grade a single question for multiple students. That is, grade one particular question for ALL of students at one time. I am seeing discussion from 2 years ago that even the folks at Canvas think this is a great idea-- and that this would be implemented in Speedgrader 2.0. Since then, I have heard nothing. What's the holdup?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator

@remerick ,

SpeedGrader 2.0 got put on hold, awaiting completion of other projects that would impact it. They did a patch-job in August 2016, calling it like a SpeedGrader 1.25. Canvas Studio: Speedgrader™ Facelift 

I rolled out a couple of scripts that added enhancements to SpeedGrader. One of them is the ability to show, in the bar at the top, which questions still needed graded. Another one added a lot of enhancements designed to reduce the time and number of clicks needed to do things. I did not address the grading one question at a time for all students because that is a huge transition in the way that SpeedGrader works -- maybe even to the point that it needs a new name and layout.

Since then, SpeedGrader has been removed from the priority list. I think they wanted to complete some other projects first that would impact the way SpeedGrader worked, rather than spending lots of time working on SpeedGrader and then having to redo it once the other major components were updated. The major components that might impact it are the new gradebook, quizzes.next, and assignments 2.0. Of those, the new gradebook is getting forced on everyone in January 2020, Quizzes.Next has been going on for several years and hasn't reached feature parity to the point that some of us will even test it, and assignments 2.0 is on the priority list.

Edit:

It looks like you found the official post about SpeedGrader 2.0: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3295 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
James
Navigator

@remerick ,

SpeedGrader 2.0 got put on hold, awaiting completion of other projects that would impact it. They did a patch-job in August 2016, calling it like a SpeedGrader 1.25. Canvas Studio: Speedgrader™ Facelift 

I rolled out a couple of scripts that added enhancements to SpeedGrader. One of them is the ability to show, in the bar at the top, which questions still needed graded. Another one added a lot of enhancements designed to reduce the time and number of clicks needed to do things. I did not address the grading one question at a time for all students because that is a huge transition in the way that SpeedGrader works -- maybe even to the point that it needs a new name and layout.

Since then, SpeedGrader has been removed from the priority list. I think they wanted to complete some other projects first that would impact the way SpeedGrader worked, rather than spending lots of time working on SpeedGrader and then having to redo it once the other major components were updated. The major components that might impact it are the new gradebook, quizzes.next, and assignments 2.0. Of those, the new gradebook is getting forced on everyone in January 2020, Quizzes.Next has been going on for several years and hasn't reached feature parity to the point that some of us will even test it, and assignments 2.0 is on the priority list.

Edit:

It looks like you found the official post about SpeedGrader 2.0: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3295 

View solution in original post

remerick
Community Member

I appreciate the feedback.

My interactions with Canvas have been frustrating. When my college moved to Canvas, many of us were just dumbfounded (and continue to be) by the fact that Canvas won't allow us to have discussion forums, just individual boards. 

I posted to the Community about that issue, and I was told something like: "Yeah, lots of people want that! But we don't think you need it. Here's a workaround that's totally impractical."

Now here's a feature that will save instructors loads of time (the one thing we need most of all), was acknowledged as being a top priority two years ago, but alas, here we are.

trr10
Community Member

I was told by someone at my university to post this idea here, so I did not realizing I was also supposed to search through all the ideas presented here first. I had no idea how many times Canvas acknowledged their failure on this then kept stringing people along.