cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Speedgrader Comments not saving?

Jump to solution

I have a teacher adding feedback in the New Speedgraded and only about 20% of the comments saved.

The points where they added a note show - but the actual text comment did not save for most of her comments.

She spent a lot of time providing feedback and now the students can't see most of them.

Trying to determine if this was a temporary issue or others are having problems too. I masqueraded as a teacher and added new notes - and they saved, and was able to see them when I masqueraded as a student. Not sure what happened of if it was an isolated issue.

251118_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi kkelley@tuhsd.k12.az.us‌ - From your screen capture, it appears that--like many of my own faculty--that your instructor is using the point type of annotation/comment in the Canvas DocViewer.  Unfortunately, this appears to be a known issue and was just commented on by Erin Hallmark here.  I, too, was frustrated by this, and as the original poster in that document noted, the "secret" appears to be hitting the ENTER key after making the comment to have it save properly.  As Erin suggests in her reply, you, too, may want to file a Support case with Canvas to ensure that you are at least alerted to changes. 

Let's all hope that this gets solved before it gets too heavy into the term.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi kkelley@tuhsd.k12.az.us‌ - From your screen capture, it appears that--like many of my own faculty--that your instructor is using the point type of annotation/comment in the Canvas DocViewer.  Unfortunately, this appears to be a known issue and was just commented on by Erin Hallmark here.  I, too, was frustrated by this, and as the original poster in that document noted, the "secret" appears to be hitting the ENTER key after making the comment to have it save properly.  As Erin suggests in her reply, you, too, may want to file a Support case with Canvas to ensure that you are at least alerted to changes. 

Let's all hope that this gets solved before it gets too heavy into the term.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks For your feedback @Ken Black,

My teacher made sure to hit "Enter " and it didn't seem to make a difference.:(

I had her submit a ticket to Instructor. It's nice to know we are not alone!

Do you know if comments made using the Highlight tool are any more reliable? I want to provide a workaround for my teacher? 

Thank again!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Katie - I believe so, but (like you) I can only judge by what my own faculty is telling me, along with what I stumble into through this great Community!  I remember in the older viewing program, crocodoc, I made it a point to tell people to click anywhere outside of the comment they made to ensure that it "stuck."  That advice may hold true for the new DocViewer, as well, until we find out something different.  Since you stated that you could not replicate the issue when you tried, some of this can come down to user-specific habits while commenting which can be virtually impossible to be able to repeat.

Highlighted

Did your teacher get any status or resolution on the posting of comments that don't appear for the students?

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

kkelley@tuhsd.k12.az.us‌ - I think Ira's question is meant for you.  In our case, it never got to that point, since the issue that we had was solved with the recent updates.

Highlighted
Community Member

We are having the same problem. Some students can see comments from the teacher and others cannot. The comments actually go away. In one case, the teacher typed the comments in class, the student could see them on the teacher's laptop, but when the student tried, nothing. The next day, the comments were gone for this one student on the teacher's end, too.

Highlighted

This is now being reported by our faculty as well. The instructor view shows "comment bubbles and text comments" that are missing on the student's view.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

You may want to make sure they (the students, that is) scrolled over or maximized their viewing by clicking that double-arrow icon at the top to go into full-screen view.  I've come across a view students who report difficulties seeing the comments and that will often help.  I personally have not seen the issue of students not seeing them if the instructor is....which is not to say that it can't be happening!