cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Speedgrader Tools not showing

Hi all,

I've experienced a small but annoying problem with assignments in Canvas.

I delivered a presentation to my staff on Monday about the joys and wonders of Speedgrader, especially the ability to use the feedback tools directly on student submissions. 

Lo and behold, I come to give feedback this morning on drafts that students submitted last night, and the tools aren't showing at all. I can't figure out how to make them appear, and no Canvas guides (that I can find) even mention the toolbar at all. I was using it perfectly on Monday with no issues on a different submission, but now, nothing!

Do Speedgrader tools get removed if the assignment has an attached rubric? If so, that doesn't make sense. As a teacher you should be able to correct specific parts of a task as well as using an overall rubric.

Help would be appreciated. This is extremely frustrating, especially when it works on a different task. 

Cheers,

Mark

52 Replies

Hi floresr@smccd.edu

You will note in Mark's screenshot, that he has 6/7 student submissions, and a submitting student's work is open. So the assignment is definitely published.

I think it is support ticket time.

Kelley

somehow I missed the screenshot. You're right. It's support ticket time!

Don't worry, for every one you miss, I miss twenty, and my colleagues are always very happy to point that out to me. They always do it in the kindest way, but I still know what they are thinking;-}

Kelley

Surveyor II

I'm having this same issue with a professor at my school. Their assignment happens to have a rubric attached to it. I'd love to hear how this gets resolved if at all. I feel like this is extremely silly if adding a rubric takes away the capability of annotating a document in Speedgrader.

I actually just did some additional testing. I found that it's not the rubric that takes away the ability to provide annotations in SpeedGrader. It was the fact that peer review is turned on. I'll have to see whether or not the annotation tools come back after all students have submitted assignments and completed their peer reviews. 

We had this issue. In our case, it was because our faculty chose the assignment to be peer-reviewed anonymously. When this feature is selected the tool becomes disabled EVEN FOR THE TEACHERS. The reason I received from the support was "The way the feedback tools work right now is that they will automatically put your name next to annotations, so they are turned off for anonymous peer review assignments."

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

I marked this as helpful, because the information is helpful. The feature quirk is certainly anything BUT helpful. I've lost count of the number of Canvas tools that don't work together. It seems like every tool I use disables another one somewhere else. Or two, in this case. On this assignment I assigned two anonymous reviewers per student, and it disabled automatic assignment of peer reviews and the speedgrader tools.

Agreed, this constraint is confusing and unhelpful!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello mark.anderson@redfield.nsw.edu.au ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that there hasn't been much activity in this topic for quite some time.  Have you had a chance to review all the replies?  Did any of the Community's feedback help to answer your question?  If so,please go ahead and mark one of the replies above as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since April 24, 2018.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Mark.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.