cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gasstationwitho
Surveyor

Splitting a group after assignments

Jump to solution

I have an assignment that is done in groups (partners), and I've set up the grading to be by group.  So far, so good.

In the past, when I used paper-based grading, I've allowed partners to submit separate reports when one member of the group turns out to be a flake (in the opinion of the other—in many cases, both were students having trouble doing the work of the course).

How can I do this with canvas, particularly when the earlier reports from the same group have already been submitted—changing the group composition would screw up the earlier grading.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I figured out how to do what was needed: I created new groups and moved the students to the new groups.  The already-submitted work was associated with the old group and all students in that group.  Work submitted after the students were moved was associated with the new grouping.  

I've used this method several times now, and only run into one problem: I had to extend the deadlines for the new groups in one case, and it only worked if all the students were moved to new groups, not just part of the group.  (For some reason, which may not be repeatable, canvas was showing me that the deadlines had been extended for the students, but was showing the students that they were locked out of doing submission.)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

gasstationwithoutpumps, to make sure I’m answering your question correctly, could you elaborate by what you mean by “changing the group composition would screw up the earlier grading?” Any grading you’ve already done should not change if you decide to change the groups as long as you don’t go back into a group assignment and change anything else. Moving forward you could use the new group on future assignments. 

Does this help?

Kona

@kona I have tried to move people to different groups after having graded a few assignments that were group assignments.  Canvas gives me a warning that if I move students that will adversely affect previous grades and could impact the grades of the new group.  For this reason, I have not moved people.  It seems to me that the most viable solution is to do as @gasstationwithoutpumps has described and make a new group set.  If there is a better (easier) solution, I would love to hear it!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Greetings! There's a good chance that the way the settings work has changed since I originally posted my response. I'll admit I haven't played around with it lately to know for sure. Overall groups can be tricky so if you've found something that works - even if not great - that's probably the best route to take. 

Kona

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, gasstationwithoutpumps...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on January 24, 2018, and so I wanted to check in with you.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you received from  @kona ‌ a day later?  It looks like she had a clarifying question for you and a possible solution.  Have you had an opportunity to review her reply?  If so, did her response help to answer your question, or are you still looking for some assistance on this question?  If you feel that Kona's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark her response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with your question, please let us know by posting a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you. For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you for almost four months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for the same amount of time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Kevin.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

I figured out how to do what was needed: I created new groups and moved the students to the new groups.  The already-submitted work was associated with the old group and all students in that group.  Work submitted after the students were moved was associated with the new grouping.  

I've used this method several times now, and only run into one problem: I had to extend the deadlines for the new groups in one case, and it only worked if all the students were moved to new groups, not just part of the group.  (For some reason, which may not be repeatable, canvas was showing me that the deadlines had been extended for the students, but was showing the students that they were locked out of doing submission.)

View solution in original post

Hi gasstationwithoutpumps...

Thank you for coming back to update us!  I'll go ahead and mark your response today as the "Correct" answer since you've been able to come up with a solution on your own.  Thanks again, and have a good weekend!