cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawisner
Surveyor II

Starfish for Canvas?

Jump to solution

Is there a system like Starfish which is utilized in Blackboard for Canvas? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator II

@dawisner , I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're asking whether Starfish works with Canvas, then yes, Starfish integrates with Canvas. I can't say how well as we're in the beginning phases of implementing it right now, but other schools have already done so. The idea I get from people is that you will want to use add extra information, but it does pull some grade information.

If you're asking about whether there are systems like Starfish besides Starfish, then yes. Our school had proposals from several vendors before choosing Starfish, but I was not involved in that process.

If you're asking if something like Starfish is built into Canvas, then no, although there is "On Track Predictor" on Canvas X. It's one of the things that Canvas is looking into, but it's not widely available right now. I don't think it's intended to be as encompassing as Starfish since it only involves data already in Canvas, but they touted pretty high success rates about whether someone would be successful in a course early on. You can find out more about that from the Canvas Studio page.

If you're asking about something that is utilized in "Blackboard for Canvas," then I have never heard of that product and cannot help out.

From my understanding, there are several components to Starfish. We're using the Early-Alert part. Everything I have shared is about that component. If you are asking about a different part of Starfish, you may need to clarify the question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
James
Navigator II

@dawisner , I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're asking whether Starfish works with Canvas, then yes, Starfish integrates with Canvas. I can't say how well as we're in the beginning phases of implementing it right now, but other schools have already done so. The idea I get from people is that you will want to use add extra information, but it does pull some grade information.

If you're asking about whether there are systems like Starfish besides Starfish, then yes. Our school had proposals from several vendors before choosing Starfish, but I was not involved in that process.

If you're asking if something like Starfish is built into Canvas, then no, although there is "On Track Predictor" on Canvas X. It's one of the things that Canvas is looking into, but it's not widely available right now. I don't think it's intended to be as encompassing as Starfish since it only involves data already in Canvas, but they touted pretty high success rates about whether someone would be successful in a course early on. You can find out more about that from the Canvas Studio page.

If you're asking about something that is utilized in "Blackboard for Canvas," then I have never heard of that product and cannot help out.

From my understanding, there are several components to Starfish. We're using the Early-Alert part. Everything I have shared is about that component. If you are asking about a different part of Starfish, you may need to clarify the question.

View solution in original post

Thank you James, you have answered my question and then some.